MOLD under mobile home wont go away cleaned , fixed etc

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Mark, Greg, mhrAJ333, JD

Locked
catseye
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:23 pm

I HATE MOLD!!!!!!!!!..........ok now.........several weeks ago the smell of mold suddenly appeared......of course I am really allergic and sensitive to it.
I tracked the smell to under the mobile home at the bathroom area.....there was some water dripping from the seam in the main sewer pipe it was clogged, plumber snaked it...smell got worse along with fumes that burned eyes, throat , nose....Bro in law finally smelled it....neither relative here can small worth a darn............went under home, found inslulation under shower that had apparently gotten wet at some time....not wet now but had mold......some debris under same area on growund wet and growing mold...all removed............sprayed mold blaster.......did not work.... :o ....went back in (now fumes were so bad had to seal off bathroom and did mold air quality test..MOLD growing in dish...more than should be in home I think....but the bathroom itself is clean, disenfected, also have damp rid all over in and under......anyway...went back under a second time......removed more debris...sprayed with bleach...had people come out and put new insluation under shower....underbelly barrier.....foamed and caulked holes and areas around drains that could leak or let smells in/..........did not see any mold...........now a week later....MOLD SMELL AGAIN..BURNING EYES NOSE......door to bathroom open and is coming out to LR area......of course the relatives are in denial and dont want to hear it...........but the MOLDS SMELL AND FUMES ARE BACK :(
How to get rid of them..........spraying DIRT under house..respray with WHAT besides bleach? TEA TREE OIL? BORAX ON DIRT? any IDEAS?.......besides demolishion? :?:


bobfather99
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:09 am
Location: Indiana

Tue Jan 11, 2011 11:17 pm

Check plumbing for a possible leak somewhere.
Is the moist air in the bathroom venting outside??(exhaust fan)
You may have to disassemble as necessary to figure out what's going on. Many times bleach kills surface mold, but not mold growing internally.
Tip your bartender.....

catseye
Posts: 2
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 9:07 pm

Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:36 am

thanks...leak was fixed..........vent not working and does not vent to outside anyway but it never has and there was no mold in the 3 years here until now ferom under the house....suspect mold and smell coming from under home still.......used bleach....is coming back........any good mold killers anyone has useeed. I tried Mold blaster....NO GOOD.......fumes are horrible..............bleach...ok but coming back........any?

User avatar
Greg
Moderator
Posts: 5373
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Weedsport, NY
Contact:

Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:20 pm

Hi & welcome. If there are no leaks, (plumbing drains, cracks in tub/shower allowing water to leak) then it sounds like a major ventilation problem. If the problem is under the home try opening a section of skirting and use a fan to force air in or out. Is the ground under the home damp? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

bobfather99
Posts: 195
Joined: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:09 am
Location: Indiana

Thu Jan 13, 2011 10:08 pm

Very important for warm moist air(like in the bathroom) to ventilate out. Wherever warm moist air meets cold/cooler air, youll get moisture/mold. Id set up a good exhaust fan and make sure it vents outside of the home. This should help for sure.
Tip your bartender.....


joedirt63
Posts: 195
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:57 am
Location: Pocono Lake, P A
Contact:

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:47 am

if you have a dryer which may be located close to the bathroom , check to see if the dryer vent is also vented out side and not under the house. had that issue with mold but in my heat vents, come to find that some one plumbed the dryer vent into the main trunk of my heating system. aahh april fresh through out the whole house,
"a man has got to know his limitations", clint eastwood. " i haven't found mine yet," me

CDG
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:16 am

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:42 am

The 3/4 subfloor may have damage from water ..I know you were under the home, but check there....Also the drywall board may have mold behind it... Use a mask and clean the boards under the home if not damaged or rotted...Than use Kilz with mold protection on the wood...

Locked