marriage wall reno

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Mark, Greg, mhrAJ333, JD

Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 11:55 am

Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:40 pm

We have a floating wall (between the kitchen and living room) on the marriage seam. When we tap on the wall there is no solidity to it. We would like to open the living room up to the kitchen. We want to put an island in its place with support posts from floor to ceiling at each end of the island. Is there any extra support that we sould add?
Live each day as if it is your last because that may be the case.

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:57 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:36 pm

A wall under the marriage beam is almost certainly a load bearing wall. You would hear a difference in walls by tapping as the interior wall would not have insulation or anything else that would make it different than any other interior wall, except it's placement. Replacing the wall with posts and headers would work, but you need to set the posts to the same width as the walls. There are limits to how much free span you can have. Usually the front end of that kitchen wall leads into dining room, where the span is the width of the dining area. Then to to other half of the home, you will have just less than 12' (on a 24 wide) from the kitchen wall to the eave wall of the living room. Then usually at the hall end of the kitchen, there is usually a shorter open area. Point is, the ends of the kitchen walls support the free span areas.

Then you need to determine the size of posts and header and how they are to be attached. The structure of the wall (to be removed) gives it lateral strength. A 4x4 toenailed into a particle board floor will not be nearly as secure. I am not saying that this is your situation or plan. It is just that your plan needs to provide basically the same support as the existing wall.

Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.

User avatar
Posts: 5373
Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:01 pm
Location: Weedsport, NY

Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:28 pm

One other thing to remember, that wall is actually 2 walls side by side. If you ever have to move the home make sure you can get the 2 halves apart with out damaging the home. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."