best roof coating?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

buckmaster27012

trying to prepare for the winter i hope we dont have but after last year who can tell? what would be the best roof coating to put on for sealant and help during the heat? got a layer of kool seal from about 3 years ago but thinking about putting a new layer on. heard the white is better than the silver so i have looked the black jack with the 10 year warranty deal and the other that comes in white bucket but cant think of name. thanks!
avocadohill

we use "Henry's Elastomeric" from Home Depot
buckmaster27012

btt
Greg

Kool seal is in a white bucket. I've had no problems with ours since I put it on. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

Standard Kool Seal is probably as good as any roof coating for under $100 per 5 gal bucket. Kool Seal also markets a Premium Kool Seal for ~$135.00. Both Kool Seal products are 100% acrylic. I use Ames Research Maximum Stretch as my main top coat product. It sells for $150 a bucket plus shipping. I would only use the top coat product alone for a touch-up maintenance kind of job. If the roof edges, vents and ridge cap has a build up of cracked or peeling sealants, I do a lot of prep work and then use Ames Research Elasto-Barrier for the undercoat and use the Maximum Stretch over the top of that. Usually there will be 5-6 layers, counting the seam tape as a layer.

Kool Seal also sells an asphalt based Aluminum Roof Coating, which I would not recommend unless you were going over that same product or a similar product like Aluma-Seal or other asphalt based product. This kind of stuff is basically old school outdated technology to me.

JMO
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.