J Channel/Gutter Sealer

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Mark, Greg, mhrAJ333, JD

Posts: 4
Joined: Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:56 am

Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:58 pm

Hi, I'm back. I'm replacing the insulation along my outside walls on my '96 Fleetwood 16x80. When I get to the point of putting everything back together, what type of sealant/caulking should I put on the J channel/gutter surrounding the roof. What is on there now is some type of caulking that is gray in color with silver flecks in it. It seems to be doing the job because there is only one minor leak in the roof in the 10 years I have lived in this home. Also, what type of caulking/sealer is used where the roof edge is folded over onto the outer wall? Whatever is on there now was really sloppily applied with lots of gaps and many areas where it it ran down the sides. I'm talking about a metal roof here that is stapled along the edges to hold it in place. Thanks! Lee

User avatar
Site Admin
Posts: 2686
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:57 pm
Location: Fresno, CA

Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:14 am

If this J channel is an extruded aluminum (the thicker, usually not painted) drip rail, I would use butyl putty tape. This is like the old style window putty tape, only the sealant is a hundred times better. You can get it online , locally at RV parts dealer and some specialty shops.

If this is a rolled aluminum (thin sheet bent to shape, usually painted) mini gutter, I would replace it with the extruded drip rail and tuck a regular aluminum gutter under it.

Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.