Which rain gutter style?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

johnlk

Called the contrator to discuss the gutters and he sid,yea they work great were there is no snow but here in pa were we get lots of snow he says they do more damage than good.Snow melts and freezes and water bcks up and gutters come down.he says you want them no problem he will put them on but in 30 yrs of working on mobiles he takes more down than puts them on.Again this is his take.
Greg

John, I will agree that that could happen, but I know that We get more snow here than you do. First EVERY mobile home home owner in an area that gets snow should own a roof rake and keep the roof clear after they get more than a few inches of snow, gutters or no gutters. With a clear roof the odds of problems are reduced.

Second I have seen many people that insist on attempting to break any ice out of (or off of) the gutters, they may as well just get on the roof and smack the gutters with a hammer.

There are also many types of electric heaters to melt any ice accumulations.

Ultimately the choice is yours, if you do put them up, DO NOT SKIMP on the hangers, I have never heard of anyone complaining that they should have used less hangers. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
johnlk

My problem is i dont live there.I close it down in the fall and open in the summer.Not sure what to do.
Yanita

Hi,

In a previous post did you sasy you were having a roof over installed? If so then make sure you have at least a 6in. overhang.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
johnlk

Funny thing the contractor says only 3" works best?
Robert

Hi,

The ultimate choice is yours. There has been a lot of experienced and valuable info given here, plus what the contractor says.

IF you truly trusted him, you would not be here I don't believe.

Plus, he is trying to gain a customer, whereas we are only trying to help.

Research this site and the contractor and after doing the homework, make the choice and decision that best aligns with you and your situation.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Rod

John,

The overhang really depends on what style of roof over you are doing. If you are building in a soffit & fascia system etc than I'm with Yanita 6" minimum. If you are just simply doing a Metal roof and overhanging the Metal panel than I would say 3-4" max. Anything more and I would worry about wind deflection & Ice/snow build up bending downward. Plus it looks silly, almost like your roof is wearing a hat.

As for the gutters. Most residential gutters come in 4" width some of the commercial in 5 & 6" So if you do an overhang don't overshoot the gutter.

If your not there to remove snow than extra hangers as Greg said is a must.

Do you winterize the home when you leave or keep the heat on?

If the home is winterized & the heat is left off there is no heat loss to create ice dams.

If the heat is left on and you can not remove snow and you have gutters the Ice build up will most certainly cause problems.

Also when hiring someone to do a big job such as a roof. References & proof of insurance should be requested.

Good Luck

Rod