Rain seepage around window swamp cooler

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

MizFurball: The Movie

Hi folks.
YIKES! Just got a brand new lovely swamp cooler. Window type. I put packing foam in the bottom "canal" of the frame to prevent rain from getting in. I didn't have any weatherstrip of the right kind on hand, so handyman said we could do it later. That was yesterday. Today it rained really hard. I had water coming in through the top and bottom. I went through over 20 hand towels and two bath towels. It was coming in really fast on top, slower at the bottom. I then remembered I had some rope caulk. I squeezed that into the top part and it helped with the top. When I can find someone to help me (very heavy), can I use plumber's putty in the bottom "canal" to keep water out? Do I just use huge gobs? Should I use that on top also or something else? It's gonna rain for another two days.

P.S. I can't squeeze anything into the bottom gap. It's too close to the sill for me to get anything in there. Vinyl windows.
Greg

that's about all you can do for now. Don't forget to tip the unit down slightly so the rain runs off the back. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
steve

Any water coming in from the bottom is first coming in from the top...running down side channel and overflowing bottom channel. Seal top and sides and bottom will take care of itself

Hi Greg. How have you been?
Hi Steve. I don't know you, but I used to be on here ALL the time.

Do I use plumber's putty for this sealing or something else?
Greg

Furb, once it dries out some you coud try the putty, or the foam seals that are made for it. any hardware/home center should have them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."

Handyman just got here. Thanks.