R-Matte Plus 3 Insulation ?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

StealthWyvern

JD/Yanta(I think thats it),

Can you answer this for me... I was wondering around home depot earlier last week killing time and I saw this R-Matte Plus 3 insulation. The stuff appeared to be fairly cheap imo. About 10 bucks a sheet ircc and came in a 4x8 sheet.

Would this stuff be a good Cana date for insulating the inside of a trailer home? I was thinking I can do a little at a time in my house. Pop off the wood paneling and slap this on inside the wall placing the wood panel back over it. I have no idea how the insulation is in my house. I would imagine it all fell to the ground for it being 31 years old. I'm currently just kicking the idea around really.

What would I have to worry about if I do this? I thought about putting it under the metal on the outside of my house but decided against it. The reason is who knows how bad the materials in my wall are(studs), and I'm afraid that I might not even get it back together the same fit and finish. Also if I do it just on the inside of the house I wont have to worry about the weather. Would I have to worry about it gettign wet from leaks ect ect... I think this is the stuff... looks a lot like it.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... =100317820

Thanks,
Stealth

P.S. Thanks for your help about the roof earlier. I looked into it and have decided to just subcontract the work out later on. The fines, time and all that other fun legal stuff just doesnt seem the hassell to save a few bucks.
Greg

I think I would stay with fiberglass, by the time you get the paneling off, cut and fit the foam, and put the paneling back on plus clean up the mess from cutting the foam you would be better off with fiberglass. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi Stealth,

I tried the link and of course my store does not sell the product you want me to see. So going by Greg's response I would have to agree.

For myself P refer the batts insulation for most applications. When adding insulation to the walls you would want to make sure that you completely fill the cavity, that would be tough to do with a styrofoam.

Removing the interior wall paneling is not easy if you want to reuse it. My home is just a little older than yours, for every piece of paneling I have tried to remove it got destroyed, even with my gentle prying. It is very dry and brittle. Same with all the trim.

Hopefully JD or other forum members will reply with there thoughts.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
steve

The only way to get to all of the wall cavities is from the outside. It would also allow you to install vapor barrier and check for any areas of water damage. Although styrofoam has a better R value, any gaps allow air penetration which is worse. Definatley use fiberglass and install with attention to detail.
JD
Site Admin

I totally agree with Yanita and Greg. The fiberglass is actually easier to work with. Especially if you cut it with huge scissors. Fiberglass is much cheaper per SF per 1" thick and it fills wall cavities well. The foam board has to be cut precisely to fully fill the cavity and probably should be taped at the edges. Foam board's only plus is you are able to get more R-value into the space provided. With polystyrene, there is not that much increase, but the polyiso offers more than twice the R value per inch. It is also the most expensive per sf per in thick.

The mobile home vertical aluminum siding is easy to work with provided it is not bent up or behind an awning or deck where you can't get to the screws.

JMO
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.