Outswing doors

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

jab

How much work is it to change an outswing door to an inswing door? Is there much modification that needs to be done to the frame or is it just a matter of replacing it?
JD
Site Admin

Without going to a custom made door, you will need to reframe the rough opening. Standard outswing doors come in 2" increments with widths from 28" to 36", depending on manufacturer. So the finished opening/hole for the outswing door is very close to the door size. A 30" door from a home store will measure 29 7/8" and the frame to that prehung door will be close to 31 1/2", not allowing it to fit in a 30" opening. The height of a prehung door can be shortened, although this will change the door knob height if the holes are predrilled.

Usually I will remove the wall paneling to get to the framing and most times I can leave the exterior wood siding on the home, after removing necessary fasteners. Mobile home vertical siding is usually easy to remove and replace.

Maybe someone knows an easier way to get around this, but I haven't found one for an outswing door.

Here is an image of what the framing should look like when you are done. Header schedules may be different, so check your local codes.

Hope this helps,
JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Greg

Hi & welcome. As JD said, it usually takes reframing, unless someone has already changed it. If you are going to do the job your self, It is basic framing as JD said. but there MAY be some minor electrical changes needed if the wires are attached to the studs, so keep that in mind.
Yes JD, there IS an easier way to do it - HIRE someone!! I didn't say it would be cheap. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Dean3

Wouldn't it work to just cut the nails that go through the jamb and spin a pre-hung door and jamb around? The direction of swing would be oriented differently but it would swing in then because the hinges would be on the opposite side of the wall.

Dean
JD
Site Admin

A mobile home outswing door is is surface mounted. The jambs are just interior paneling or wallboard and not incorporated into the door parts.

There is another option, but I don't think it is a good one. You can order a custom sized in-swing mobile home door to fit the door opening, but you would lose width and height on an already small door. They are also very expensive as doors go.

Maybe I am not reading the post right.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Dean3

No JD,I think You read it right. My exterior doors are(and have been)pre-hung house doors. The interior doors are as You say.

Thinking back a bit My Sis had a new entry door installed and if I remember right,,,it was "sorta" like a storm door in the sense that it was screwed through the hinge side and doorstop pieces the same way. That style of door could be moved to the inside too but then the "openning/jamb" would have to be weatherized.

Being 6'3'' tall,going in through those little metal doors,reminds Me of seeing guys on a submarine(bulkhead door)in the movies! The only thing missing is the wheel to sinch it up tight! :)

I don't think it was ever mentioned wether the door in question is an interior or exterior door,,,,My bad.

Dean
jab

Thanks for the info. Haven't decided what I am going to do yet. Right now I am just in the planning stages and yes, paying someone may be the easiest (but not cheapest) route!
Greg

...But what would you learn?? Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
jab

I am just now getting around to this project. Couple of questions. The current rough opening is 32x 80. If I tear out the outswing door and jamb, would replacing it with a pre-hung inswing door work? The jamb size is 4inches and the pre-hung doors can be ordered with a 4in. jamb. Would this work with no major reframing? Just trying to cover everything before I get into something major.
mnc

I had the same problem you did with my back door. It was a cheap stryofoam filled outswing door with a tiny little window and no screen door. I took off the trim around the door on the inside and wrote down the rough opening measurements. Keep in mind that most exterior mobile home doors that I've come across are 74" in height. If you go to a lumber store you will find that they only carry 30"-36" wide by 80" high pre-hung doors. Also keep in mind that most of these doors are made with 2x4 framing as standard. My mobile home has 2x6 framing in the walls. The door manufacturer also makes extension kits to even out the door jamb trim so you can attach internal trim flush. With that in mind, I measured the WIDTH of the BACKSIDE of the pre-hung door (where the door will be fitted into the home from the outside) to make sure it would fit. Then all I did was remove the cripple stud above the door, reinforced the top with a 2x6, measured up 80 1/2" and use a sawz-all to open it up to the correct height. The end result was perfect and should be as long as you measure everything along the way. Also, plan on caulking underneath the threshold of the door as well as on top and the sides. I used new j-channel (cheap) to bring the siding up next to the door and hide it. I also bought some primed brickmold and finished off the bottom part of the door (this was done after the pic was taken). After the door was in, I added a 30x80 (same dimension as the pre-hung door) Larson screen door. In all, the project took two days and only cost $200. Well worth the investment if you ask me. In regards to those who will pipe in about the removal of "cripple" studs above a doorway, I have already talked to seasoned carpenters and they all said that it's not that big of a deal in a mobile home and as long as you don't walk on the roof directly above the door. Hope this helps!