Diamond rib roofing help

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ronm

Hello. I am involved in a total rehab of a 1969 double wide mobile home. The roof dimensions are 46' x 26' with a grade of 1.5" every foot and a peak/ridge in the middle. I am trying not to replace the entire roof due to cost and possible permitting issues. I spoke with the "friendly" building permitting folks and informed me that I cannot reroof the MH as described in the Mobile Home repair manual. I need to replace about a 20' x 13' section due to a botched repair by the prior owner. A local mobile home supply store told me that the roof is Diamond Rib (aluminum) and is not made anymore. Can anyone recommend another type of roofing to replace the 20' section. The roofing pattern has ridges every 2.5" on center and are about 3/4"high. I am in the Tampa, Fl area if anyone could recommend a retailer.
Thanks again, Ron
blbrade1

Sometime if you take a sample of the material to a metal fabricator with a c&c brake they can take the dimensions from that piece and enter them on the computer and the machine will make it for you I dont know how costly it is but ive seen it done and the end results were really close the only reason it wasnt perfect is that the operator made a slight miss calculation but the piece still worked when we installed it and hasnt leaked for 5 yrs now
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!
ronm

Thanks blbrade1. I'll try to contact an Aluminum fab comp. I'm imaging anything custom is usually expensive. Has anyone else had this problem and if so what was the solution? Has anyone successfully matched another similiar style to their existing roofing. I was told that this style, Diamond Rib, was at one time very popular.
Thanks
JD
Site Admin

You can buy mobile home aluminum rolled roofing from All-Rite Aluminum at www.all-rite.com They are in Holister CA, but ship everywhere through their web site. If this is a large piece, you want the seamed aluminum roof. The stuff is pricey when sold retail. You could also check with your local RV repair shops. All-Rite supplies all of the repair shops and RV super store places. Whoever is supplying the the shops near you with RV aluminum siding, doors, hatches etc. would probably also have mobile home roof material. You can probably order locally and save some money.

All-Rite also has the diamond pattern in aluminum, but I doubt that it is thick enough or wide enough for use on mobile home roofs.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
ronm

JD,
Thanks for the info I really appreciate it. When you mentioned that " you doubt that it is thick enough". What is the minimum thickness it can/should be? The current roof, Diamond Rib, is pretty thin.
Thanks again. Ron
ronm

JD,

I checked out the all-rite.com site and the rolled aluminum doesn't look like it would work. My roof dimensions are 48' x 26'. It's peaked in the center so there is 13' on each side. The section I'd like to replace is 24' x 13'. So almost half of one side. At over $4/sqft for the the seamed it would be over $1200 and the continuous isn't wide enough. I couldn't find the Diamond rib on their site. I can purchase metal/steel roofing panels for about $.75 sqft. Is it possible to merge different shaped panels to my existing roof?
blbrade1

I would nt recomend trying to use two different styles of penels ive tried and wasnt satisfied with the results and ended up replacing it all that would only run ya about 936 for the pannels tou were looking at and plus if you do it right you might get away with doing one side at a time if you have to about 470 a side
Carpenters Rule!!!!!!
ronm

Thanks blbrade1. Do you think I'd need a permit if I only replaced one side of the roof?
Thanks, Ron
ronm

I was is Home Depot today and I noticed they carry 30" x 12' sheets of galvinized 29 gauge roof panels. Do you think I could use these panels to replaced my damaged roof ? I would be merging these to my existing diamond rib aluminum panels. I not to concerned about the look of the roof.
Johnny

Ron if you don`t mind your roof looking the same on both sides you could use other metal and connect under the ridge so it would not leak. John
If I can't fix it -- I ask questions
ronm

Thanks John. What do you recommend for flashing. Peel n Stick, Caulking....?
Ron