vinyl floor lifting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

ponch37300

I am still getting used to mobile home living and when i get some free time i search the past posts to learn as much as i can about mobile home living. In my searching i read about some vinyl floors lifting up and how they only edge glue the vinyl. One time i turned the heat on the vinyl floor looked like a hot air balloon taking off! It only happened once but after reading about other members issues with this i pulled the heat vent and noticed the floor is no longer glued down around the vent. So I am assuming that i should re glue the vinyl down around the register? What type of glue should i use for this? Do I just get some vinyl floor adhesive from home depot or Lowe's? Thanks for any advice on this.
Robin

My husband and I put down some new vinyl flooring in our small bathroom and we didn't glue the floor down. Quite honestly, it was all we could do to just manage the floor, not to mention any glue! But we had that same problem. Whenever the heater came on, the floor looked like it might take flight! So he put some silicone on the bottom side of the new vinyl just around the floor vent. Problem solved.
steve

Be verry careful as to the glue you choose. Some glues will actually melt your flooring.
You need a perimeter glue ideally made by your particular floor manufacturer
Greg

You could either use Silicone as Robin did or try using duct tape to seal the vinyl from the duct. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
ponch37300

Guess I'll try the silicone and hope that works. Just thought maybe they made a glue made for putting vinyl on the subfloor.
68Marlette

Hi,
Actually you should only use a vinyl glue. Lowe's does carry this, in my market as small as a touch up tube or a quart. I would not use a caulking product. It is generally when you don't use the correct materials and methods that you get in trouble. There is also a special double sided vinyl tape made specifically for the newer glass backed vinyl. Fiberglass backed vinyl is thicker and has a slight 'cushion' to it. Traditional felt back is thinner yet stronger and much better and the backing does resemble felt. Good luck!
Jim
Yanita

Well, maybe not the right way, but definitely cheap and has been there for 3 years now...duct tape!

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
ponch37300

Thanks Jim, I thought that there would be a correct glue to use for vinyl. I have seen how duct tape fails for use on/around heat ducts. If I was to use tape it would be the foil tape made for heat vents but I will go get some vinyl glue and do it right.