How do I remove my bathroom exhaust fan from a 1981 Fuqua

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

friskeydude

Hi, i'm having difficulties removing the original bathroom exhaust fan from my mobile home. I just can't seem to get it, the home has two bathrooms and both exhaust fans don't work, but i can't get the fan out PLEASE HELP! :shock: I have alrleady managed to loosen the fan and motor but don't know how to take it out or how i would put another one in.

Click on the Pictures to make them bigger

flcruising

It's certainly not obvious by the pictures what's securing it in place. Could be the wires? When you pull on it, can you not tell which part is holding? Does the duct connect to the top?
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
steve

There are companies that can give you an exact replacement for your fan motor (or rewind yours) so dont trash the housing yet.
Hooking it back to ductwork is not fun
oldfart

Dang Frisky..you got me scratchin' my balding head. Make sure the power is off and try popping out that blue wiring connector and see if that might be it. Hmmm? No screws going up thru the top of the canister? (I presume that's where the ductwork connects but could be wrong..) The two brown spots I see on the cross-bracket...they're spot-welds..not rusted screws..eh? Snatch up a flashlight and put them bi-focals on an peer reeaaalll close. Nothing? Well, the unit appears to be a really small exhaust fan (6x6) anyways....what if ya grab a prybar and pull that puppy down and replace it with a slightly larger unit?? Lowes and Home Depot both sell the Braun units really cheap. As long as the ductwork can be attached to it you might be better off to hoist it out'a there and install a new one. Wish I could help more my friend. Audie...the baffled Oldfart...
flcruising

Do you have any tin snips? Since you can get your fingers behind the flange, maybe you can snip the flange at intervals all the way around, then bend down the tabs you create. Then you could possibly push the unit up into the ceiling or at least be able to see behind it.

My thoughts are that if it's not coming down, then there must be a mount or something on the back side of it.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]