Replacing existing ceiling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

oldfart

Aye Dean2 I do agree the 2x2 tiles would be a much better way to go than the 2x4 tiles. A 2x4 ceiling tile requires (if I remember correctly) 4 inches of clearance above to install/remove/replace. The 2x2 tiles should cut that in half if my math is correct. Like many I didn't want the "grid look" on my ceiling and one of the many reasons I went with drywall. On hindsight..there's a reason for the grid. And the trim-strips covering joints. These homes expand and contract..BIG TIME!! Drywall won't! The joints will crack.. it's just a matter of how much will they crack?? Some are barely noticible and others look like..really BIG cracks! At some point I may end up adding a lath-work of stained trim 1x1's to cover up the ceiling cracks. Right now I just try not to look up too much. In my last room I did something I've never done before...ran the drywall "with the studs" instead of "across them" ..in otherwords the walls were hung vertically instead of horizontally. (as I have been taut for the past 20yrs.) And instead of using drywall mud in the corners and ceiling/wall joint I used caulking and primed and painted. Hmmmm...so far..no cracks. I'm still watching it...and "very resilient to change." as my daughter says. :) Audie..still gazing skyward....