cutting vinyl skirting

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

voldo37

what is the best way to cut vinyl skirting?? I tried to use a circular saw today and the skirting jumped around quite a bit and so I didn't get a very good cut and it even broke a few pieces. I saw one post that said he used a large paper cutter to cut the vinyl. And I saw another post about making the skirting cutting jig but I don't have any extra wood laying around to do that. So what is the best way to cut this stuff??

thanks
JD
Site Admin

A circular saw with the blade turned backwards is the easiest way. I have a skirting jig I made that I will post pictures of tomorrow, but it is not really necessary for one skirting job. You can take any 2 pieces of scrap plywood or whatever you have that is wide enough, at least 1/2" thick and flat. Set the saw blade to 1/4" deeper than the skirting and support the cut within an inch or so on the right side. Support the left side also, but it does not need to be as close. The shoe or table of the saw will be supported by the flat object on the right side.

Small cuts, pipe holes and the like can be cut with snips or you can score with a utility knife and break off pieces or punch out holes.

I have used the cardboard box the skirting comes in (supported on the inside with scrap), 2x4s, plywood, and two folding tables before. Just about anything can work for the work area. If you have an area of grass that you are not all that fond of, that could work too if it is flat.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Demolition

Tin Snips
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
preppypyro

You can actually use a utility knife too, but I did what JD suggested to do, when doing my siding, and it worked great. Tried one piece with the saw the correct way, and right after that turned the blade around.

I went to a place that sharpens blades, and the guy told me, do NOT turn your blade around, it will create more havoc, and wreck the blade. It simply wasnt true, it worked like a charm. Besides i would rather wreck a cheap blade, then expensive vinyl!
iafirebuff

I second the tin snips - I use a large pair and it is like a hot knife cutting through butter :)
Greg

OK, I'll tie it back up 2-2. Circular saw with backwards plywood blade. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Yanita

Hi,

Well I consider this answered so I am going to lock it up.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!