Water Leak Potential

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

mnc

I bought a new washer and dryer for my mobile home last November. The company I bought it from came and set it all up and connected the water hoses. The water hoses were the standard black rubber hoses. I came home from work today to find my entire laundry room, kitchen floor and half of the carpeted living room filled with water. Apparently, one of the rubber hoses developed a tiny pinhole leak somehow and filled the floor with water all day. I found out that the rubber hoses are rated at 400 psi. I went to Sears and bought a pair of "burst proof" stainless steel flex hoses that are rated at 1200 psi. I just wanted to make everyone aware here that the cost of rubber vs flex steel is 10 dollars more. To me, the 10 dollars more I paid is worth the piece of mind. Take care.

-Monty
iafirebuff

THANK YOU for the tip! I too have those type of hoses. Years ago I noticed one of the rubber hoses had a big "bubble" - about ready to burst. So, I bought the burst proof ones you mention. Well worth it!
Greg

Monty, as you know you need to get things dried out ASAP. Water and Mobiles are not a good combination. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
mnc

Greg wrote:Monty, as you know you need to get things dried out ASAP. Water and Mobiles are not a good combination. Greg
Thanks for the heads up Greg. Luckily, I the water spread wasn't too bad. We bought a wet/dry vac and sucked all the water up from beneath the carpet and ran fans on it. The kitchen floor has linoleum, so no much damage there. My big concern is when the water ran under the wall seperating the laundry room and kitchen, as well as the external wall running the length of the mobile home. The plus side is that we plan on redoing the kitchen floors anyways in the future with new Sturdi-Flooring, so all is good.