Wiring diagrams or schematics !

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Basser59

Wiring diagrams or schematics !

in My case a 1970 14x70 Town & Country mobile home I have lost a ground on one circuit and have absolutely no clue as to where to start looking for the loose or broken wire. surely there is someone out there who knows or knows someone /some where that I can look. Thanks in advance for the help.
Kelly
McLoud ,Ok.
SpongeBob

Greetings, this forum frowns on giving electrical advice and gas problem advice. :(
You should start by getting the book entitled "wiring simplified" (green cover paperback) at any of the big box stores. However, you will get great advice on all other aspects of your MH problems. It is a friendly place to get good info.
-Bob
Basser59

SpongeBob wrote:Greetings, this forum frowns on giving electrical advice and gas problem advice. :(
You should start by getting the book entitled "wiring simplified" (green cover paperback) at any of the big box stores. However, you will get great advice on all other aspects of your MH problems. It is a friendly place to get good info.
-Bob
I wholly understand that , but I do not want any tech.or possibly litigatible advice ,all that I am asking is , just like you and I there is a designer for this mobile home or was and therefore at some point in time there were written records of said design, and there must be an archive out there some place.I just want to be able to see into my walls w/o having to tear into them as @ this time my x-ray vision is not fully or even partially activated . Thanks SpongeBob.Boy that is a phrase that I never thought that I would say or type. LOL !
Greg

Kelly, Hi & welcome. You are partially correct that there WERE designs out there somewhere. You are fighting a MAJOR uphill battle trying to find them if they still exist. The first problem is the home was built 38 years ago. The second and even bigger problem is that in the 80s HUD became involved in the Mobile Home industry. MANY manufacturers were either bought out or simply closed their doors and the prints went in a dumpster somewhere.
Now The GOOD news, The Electrical is usually not that different from a stick built home. The outlets are tied from one to the next. The easiest way to narrow it down is to go from one to the next untill you loose the gound.
STANDARD DISCLAIMER, IF YOU ARE AT ALL UNSURE OF YOURSELF CALL A QUALIFIED ELECTRICIAN.
As Bob said we do not like to give advice in two areas, they are not the place on the job training. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Basser59

Thanks Greg , yep that is my eventual game plan . I just figured that if I had a picture at least I'd be able to see a probable place that I could tighten , replace ,or solder it back together myself w/o the eighty dollar an hour bill. But I also know that the alternatives of my screw up could certainly be way worse . I do appreciate your's and Bob's caution.Especially in this litigative society that we have become.
Greg

Lowes & Depot, as well as others do have basic home wireing books avalable, lots of good information in them. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

A 1970 model home... if anybody else has lived there before you, they may have done some wiring too. That is one reason a standard wiring diagram may not have all the answers.

I am not sure what year they stopped using Aluminum Wiring in Mobile Homes, but that is one reason to just go ahead and re-wire the whole house.

I left all the old wiring where it was and just ran conduit on the interior of the home and hooked it up to my NEW breaker box, with ALL NEW breakers.

Then I felt better and didnt have to play with plugs all the time.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Basser59

Thanks so much , this is what I was thinking about doing , my brother n law and I were talking about this very thing , and just eliminating that circuit all together running through the walls anyway.And we do have copper wire .Did you have one particular circuit giving you trouble @1st or several ? Thank You !
steve

If you have copper wire your ahead of the game and should be no reason to run new circuit. Start with breaker box contacts, shut off circuit and see which outlets are effected. Chances are the closes outlet/fixture to the panel is first on circuit. Working with live wires is like welding and can kill you so you need a good knowledge of electrical before doing any repairs. Electricians hourly rate may be high but not as high as a casket and cemetery plot
Yanita

Hi,

I think this thread has gone as far as it needs to...

I am going to lock this topic.

Yanita
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!