first mobile home, help!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

saxman14701

Hi everyone :)
Bought a used mobile home back in August, Its a 1997 Spruce Ridge made by Skyline. Things looked alright when we moved in, but after a very wet summer some problems have cropped up. I have found some cracks in the wall and ceilings I believe are due to leveling problems plus several soft spots in the floors through out the trailer. My questions are: First the water problem was caused by excessive rain water that pooled in the yard around the septic tank and under the home. If it is a bad septic system, is it my responsibility or the parks to fix it? Second would it help to put in pillar supports that go below the frost line, if so is it possible to raise a home and put in supports with out moving the home? Last the master bathroom floor is rotted due to water leak, can this be fixed before re-leveling?
Thanks for any help
Yanita

Hi ,

First question first..

Cracks in the walls and ceiling typically are caused by the home not being level. Any repairs in these areas the home should be releveled first, the same with the bathroom floor repairs.

As for your septic tank, you said you lived in a park, I would assume that since you do not own the land or tank it would be the parks responsibility to have it repaired, BUT, what does you lease say?

As for putting in frostline footers, typically homes in a park are set on blocks, this makes and keeps the home moveable. If your home has suffered water damage do to the negligence of the park then you would documentation of such and report to management. The changing of the foundations of our homes are subject to the local codes of your area.

~Yanita~
The difference between success and failure is who gives up first!
Greg

Hi & welcome!! Yanita is right, cracks are generally caused by the home moving, below frost line footers may help, but I can assure you that without moving the home it would be a lot of work.
Utilities in a park - the parks liability usually ends a ground level, so the septic is your responsibly UNTIL it goes into the ground, after that it is up to the park. The same holds true with water, from the ground valve up is the homeowners.
It sounds like you may have some ventilation issues under your home as well.
Spring is coming (at least that is what I keep telling myself) even though it got up to a sultry 9* today after -30* winds over night. when the weather breaks you can reassess the situation and make the necessary repairs.
Remember that you have found THE BEST place in the world for advice & support. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Maureen

Hi there and welcome to the forum!

First, I'd have to ask whether you rent the lot or own it? That would be the bottom line as to whether it's the park's responsibility, well that and your lease, rental or purchase agreement. Whichever the case may be.

I'd also check another thing. How is the land around the home graded? Does it slope away from the home, as it should? There are several remedies for this if it doesn't.

The bottom line really is that the more information we have about your general local and the home itself, the more accurate the answers you'll get. A lot of questions are area specific, like yours. What happens to my home, might never happen to yours! Our homes are soooo different from stick builts, they're also different from home to home. There are so many variables with our homes, that it would make your head spin lol!

Maureen

8)
saxman14701

Thanks for tips.

As for the park we rent the lot and the lease say we are responsible only for blockage in the line from the home to the septic. The land doesn't slope away from the home, it is flat with a low spot around the tank. I would appreciate any ideas on how to fix it or go about getting the park to repair it.

We bought the home as is, so I'm not sure the park would do anything about the currant damage, but at least I know now to document and take pics of any new problems with the lot, that cause future problems so they can be addressed.

As for the repairs..I believe you are saying that the best thing to do is wait until I get the home releveled before doing them, as this will help square up the floors and make the repairs easier. In the meantime what repair can I do if any, as the toilet is sinking through the floor.
Yanita

Hi,

What is it exactly that you want park management to repair?

If the septic is fine then I doubt they will absorb any cost in repairing your home. You would have to show absolute on how the home was damaged from the septic tank, or standing water. You say the lot is level, thats a good thing.

The low spot next to the septic you or the park can just add dirt until it is level.

Does your home have gutter and downs spouts? If so to divert the water further from your home you can add flex pipe to the ends of the down spouts.

As for the repairs to your home...it is best to have the home re leveled before you attempt any floor and wall repairs, yes this does help bring the home back into "square". BUT, you say the toilet is ready to go thru the floor... how long before you can have the home re leveled. If it is going to be a length of time I would at least go ahead and replace the flooring under the toilet. Do this with plywood.

Have a good day!

~Yanita~
saxman14701

Hi,

My lot is 100'x60' and my home is set to the far right just 10' from the property line. The septic tank is set on left corner of my lot. I would imagen there has to be a leech bed or some kind of proper drainage for the tank locacted on the lot as well.

My concern is about the standing water around the septic tank and its affects on my home. If it rains for a few hours water starts to pool above the tank and on the yard. Last year I had 8" to 12" inches of water above the tank, and roughly 1/2" to 1" of water all over the yard as well as under my home. With all the rain we had last summer it took several weeks for water to evaporate and my lot to dry out. This can't be good for my home.

Now with spring around the corner I am waiting to see what happens with the lot when the snow melts and where the water goes. If it stay in my yard and pools again, should I bring it to the parks attention or just deal with it on my own?
Maureen

I'd bring it to the parks attention first. As they really are responsible for the tank, and the lot. It shouldn't be pooling that bad.

If it's undermining the homes set up, you need to find a solution. You can always install a French drain around the home, and take the water into the sewer line or the street.

You've got options, just find out how much the park is responsible for first.

Maureen 8)
Yanita

Hi,

I just went to check your profile to see where you live (state) and there is none. A profile is very helpful, please consider completing yours.

Where I used to live it is common for the water to start ponding in a very short period of time, we had a very hard clay base, and the water table is very high. Also in the park, due to years of homes being moved in and out the earth has become very compacted.

Now I live in the country, very nice soil for having gardens, and the rain absorbs fairly quickly, but I have a bunch of mud!

You have not said anything as to whether your drains empty properly. If your drains are sluggish then it is more than likely your septic needs to be emptied. Are there alot of trees that might be interfering with the leach field. A dip in any area will cause ponding during heavy rains.

Does under your home have a vapor barrier?

~Yanita~