Recessed Lights

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

nightdesigns

My parents have a Mobile Home and I'd like to install some recessed lights for them. I have a few questions since I"m not too familiar with MH construction.

Is there even enough room to install a recessed light? Central heat/air ducts are in the ceiling running down the middle of the 2 halves.

Second, how hard is it to run new electrical behind the paneling?

The home is a double wide, 60' by 30', built some time in the 70's. Unfortunately, that's all I really know about it.
hvac1000

Does the ceiling have any lights in it now?
Usually there is room for short can lights but the wiring can be a big job. Also make sure you seal the lights completely to prevent moisture migration to the above ceiling area. The name for those cans are short style insulated cans.
You could use track lights and run the approved power cable down the wall to a electric outlet. You can use a slide dimmer control directly attached to the wire to vary the light intensity. That is what I did in a close ceiling room.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Maureen

Hello,

One word of caution, if this is an early 70's mobile, you may run into aluminum wiring. This doesn't mean huge problems, but it may mean that you will want to change the lighting you use.

One very easy option is the method that hvac mentioned.

Maureen 8)
JD
Site Admin

To go into a mobile home ceiling, you will want an IC Remodel can light. IC is for insulation contact. You will need a remodel can unless you have access to the trusses where you will be putting the light. If you do not have sheetrock ceilings, you might want a very lightweight unit, since the remodel can will be relying on your ceiling panels for support. As hvac said, there are shallow can remodel units that can be installed in less than 6" if you have a comp shingle roof. I would want at least 6" clearance over the top of the IC can so I could put insulation above it though. If you have a metal roof, you might want to consider a low wattage converter unit or a CFL (compact fluorescent) 15-20 watt to reduce chances of creating a condensation problem. Google IC remodel can light to see lot's of examples. Again, the light's name will need to have IC and Remodel in it.

On a shingle roof with a 2.5/12 pitch, you would need to be at least 3'-5' away from the eave wall to net 12" of clearance. It would depend on the size of your trusses.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.