Cheap skirting Ideas?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

StillKavey

I need a temporary fix for the winter for some new skirting that looks decent but doesnt kill the pocketbook. I thought of like plywood with some slats or something but think the moisture would ruin that quick. Anyone know of a cheap way of doing skirting for a year? Im gonna buy new vinyl skirting next year. Thanks

I think any money you'd spend on a temporary fix would be better spent on real vinyl skirting. Online retailers like Ashville Mobile Homes will sell you individual panels and you can save on shipping costs by having them cut to the particular size you need and then trimming to fit. Plus there is a 5% discount on any order for mentioning this site, noted on the homepage. You could order in the color you were going to get next year and use them in the final installation after the season is over. Were you to find a product that would stand up to the weather for a year, it would probably cost as much or more and the labor involved in cutting plywood to size and affixing it to your home should also be a consideration. The "cheap fix" could end up costing you more in $$$ and work involved than the real thing.
mobtek

Well, it's not exactly cheap unless you find a good source, but...

I have used sheets of Hardi Siding cut in half. Mounted to the bottom strip of the house on top and dug into the ground at the bottom. VERY heavy duty, weather resistant and even looks pretty good. I absolutely HATE vinyl skirting.
1989 Fuqua SW
Greg

There's always fiberglass panels. Wayne is right, many times cheap is not cheap. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Demolition

We put Tar-paper around the bottom in the winter.
We take it off in the spring so the house can air out underneath.
You can get Tar Paper for $15 or $20 a roll.
It comes in two different weights (thickness)
We tack it up with roofing nails.
Just measure how long your house is and how wide. You may need two rows.
Be sure to pile some pine needles around the bottom to keep it from moving when the wind blows.
Call Dinwiddie Demolition we'll tear that house right down.
Sweep up every splinter n haul it out of town
Furball

I recall someone on this board years ago who used wooden pallets she got for free, broke them down and ran the the boards in a vertical manner around the house.
TAllen

We also used the Hardi board that looks like stucco. Our home only has about 2 feet at one end and almost 5 feet at the other end so vinyl skirting would have cost alot more!!! Plus, after painting the Hardi board (it comes primered) it looks like a real foundation!
plumducky

What is hardi board? Found in home improvement centers?

Thx Much.
Furball

Yep. I know they have Hardiboard at Home Depot in the lumber department.
plumducky

Furball, I just called Home Depot - they've got it - I'll go check it out.

Thanks much.