Crunch - gnaw - munch; I'm losing sleep!

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Oh great.... several mice have gotten under the underbelly of the home and are beginning to munch / gnaw on the bottom of the floor.... one I swear is directly beneath my bed.. the next is near the bedroom door.... I think another one is near the other end of the house (sometimes they gnaw in STEREO!!. You can imagine what the cat does all night long!!

Naturally they only START to munch and gnaw on the wood just after I've gone to sleep. I'm a very light sleeper - if the wife bats an eyelash I'm jumping out of the bed... :-o

Any ideas?.... I was thinking of getting some rat poison tonight on the way home and slitting the underbelly where I've heard them and inserting a healthy portion up there, then re-sealing it. I would hope they'd chew on the food and I could finally get some sleep. Really - I'm getting about 3-4 hours of shuteye - don't worry 'bout the little lady - she knocks herself out with sleeping pills each night...

HELP!!!!
archive

Nope...if you poison them they will die in your under belly...not a good smell. Trust me you will regret poisoning them!

Try throwing a liberal amount of moth balls under the home, and bait and set some traps where you can reach , empty and re bait easily.

Got a cat...open up the cupboards under the vanities and sink, make it easy for kitty to get to them, even pull out some kitchen drawers. I know you did not mention these areas, but trust me they are running around there as well. Do not put a trap where kittie can get trapped.

Hey, Good hearing from you...did you ever get that under belly cleaned up and sealed?

Happy New Year!

~Yanita~
archive

I've been having exactly the same problem this winter - mice in the belly and walls. Since they are nocturnal, you can count on only hearing them in the wee hours, while you're trying to sleep. I've caught 8 of them so far, mostly with snap traps (they got wise to the glue traps after a few lucky catches.) Access to the belly where they nest is a real problem, but as Yanita says mothballs do help. I got them out of my bedroom walls by removing the electrical (and light switch) boxes and dropping a few mothballs into the wall cavity, banging on the panelling to make sure they dropped all the way down. The added benefit was that it drove them to the water heater, where they seek the warmth and which is one of the few places I can easily set traps. I've had 2 weeks of peace and quiet until last night, when I heard gnawing once again. I figured the mothballs needed refreshing, so I immediately took out the electrical box closest to the sound (this was all at 2AM, mind you.) I dropped a few mothballs in, reinstalled the box and went back to bed. I barely had a chance to pull the blankets over me when I heard a satisfying "SNAP!" near the water heater. I suppose I will have to put up with re-invasions until I plug up all the small holes in the belly with expanding foam next spring, but I think I've pretty much got the problem in hand for now. I would suggest putting peanut-butter baited snap traps (with the large trigger pedal, if possible) wherever you can even if you can't get right into the belly area. Check around your furnace for any small access holes left from the furnace install and you may find a hole big enough to put a trap through into the belly. Just make sure you put a string on it so it isn't inadvertently dragged out of reach. Also place a few near your water heater if that's accessible, since they will seek out it's heat eventually. I found that baits just didn't seem to work and the possibility of dead mice in inaccessible places is just too great. Hope this helps.
archive

Thanks for the replies, gang.

The underbelly is completely gone on one side of the house - I guess that's where they're getting in at... but for some reason they go all the way back to the master bedroom and begin their munching!! No, Yanita - I never finished the underbelly repairs.. so many other things have cropped up. I guess I'll pick up a bunch of mothballs on the way home at Lowes.

Happy (QUIET) new year...
archive

Don't use poison, I learned the hard way. It is a terrible smell that is hard to get rid of. mothballs do help some,but they tend to smell throughtout the house even if you are careful with how many you place under there. The best remedy is the old fashioned snap traps. A cat would certainly help, I have heard that female cats are better mousers than males.:lol:

Joe
archive

Yes, Jane (our female kitty) is one heck of a mouser!! When one comes in she'll play with it and bound back and forth through the house until the poor thing has a heart attack. Then she'll dutifully pick it up and drop it in the tub for us to take care of. Jane does not go outside or I'm sure she'd clean up the under side of the house!!!
archive

Yup traps are best. We had rats one time when we got rid of our chickens and the rats moved from under the chicken coop to the house. We used poison that time effective but the smell was horrible. Now we just have mice when it gets cold so snap traps are best. Use peanut butter and tie a raisin to it. Sometimes they can get the peanut butter off without setting off the trap.But when they go for the raisin whack!!
Kathy C
archive

Hi Kathy

Yes that will work. You can also tie some gauze on the trigger and coat with peanut butter. They teeth get caught in the gauze.

Harry
archive

Several years ago, my parents moved to the next province so my mom could get her degree. They were gone for two years and, as their house is across the street from the local trades campus, they rented out their home to students (yes - they thought this was a GOOD idea!).

Well, when they were coming back, it was up to my younger brother and I to send the students on their way, clean & make necessary repairs. I will not go into the disgusting state these supposedly adult people left another person's home in. Their parents should be ASHAMED to call them their children. I can't believe they weren't ashamed of themselves!

Obviously, they didn't leave any old little mouse problem. The entire house -attic, walls, floors, cupboards, basement....infested. My brother and I lived there for 6 weeks while we launched an all-out campaign! I researched the habits and tendencies and mice and found out two very important things.
1) mice are attracted to the smell of other mice - even the smell of DEAD mice. Unless you get rid of the smell (and this is a scent so delicate most humans cannot perceive it - not the mouse smell we all know and love) - others will follow!

2)a mouse's sense of smell is extremely delicate. Peppermint oil to a mouse is like setting off an airhorn in a human's ear - horrible and intolerable!

We ripped cupboards etc apart and cleaned. Then sprinkled the backs of the cupboards HEAVILY with Borax. Borax kills the scent of their presence so others don't follow.

We bought hinged-lidded tupperware containers and put all our groceries in them if the product was not in glass or metal. Boxes of cereal, crackers, etc - even things in plastic bags...those can be chewed through. The entire house has to be a no-snack-zone. Wash dishes immediately and put away (or keep dirty dishes in dishwasher). Half eaten candy bars etc were kept in a tightly lidded metal tin.

Under every sink, heater, etc - anywhere a pipe or wire or service comes into a room, the hole was sealed with something UNCHEWABLE. We used heavy wire mesh secured with construction staples or soapless steel wool. We also found their primary "runways" and created barriers. All runways got scrubbed and a liberal layer of Borax.

Cotton balls soaked in PURE peppermint oil were embedded in the steel wool or in our barriers. We also got these peppermint crystals from the Body Shop - they're meant to be dissolved in water for a foot soak. WOW! The hit of peppermint when we opened the jar was overwhelming! And that was just to a human! The crystals were a great medium for scattering like birdseed in the garage. We also opened every switchplate and outlet plate in the house in every room and sprinkled some into the walls.

It was hardcore for awhile, but once the mice were gone - they have never come back - and that was many years ago now. After about two months, we vaccumed up all the Borax.

It was kinda funny coming home to a minty house! But peppermint is not toxic and Borax is natural too. With a cat, you might want to spike it with cayenne so she doesn't want to eat it (can't imagine why a cat would eat Borax, but I had a cat that used to eat tinsel - LOL!)

I recently went through the same "crunch, crunch" aggravation with a raccoon in our underbelly - and this site was WONDERFUL! Hopefully, your mice will help you in the same way our raccoon helped us - in trying to get rid of it we discovered a HUGE array of problems under the mobile that we didn't even know about and thankfully were able to fix before winter!

Good Luck!
:)
AT