Creaking popping sound

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Greetings all - I have noticed that when I step in certain places in the master bedroom, there is a kind of creaking pop sound in the master bathroom. The sound happens also sometimes at night, when we're in bed.
Any ideas of what it could be and what I can do to check it, fix it or at least lessen it?
We are moving our 14 x 66 trailer in a few weeks--so I would like to know if there's something I can do about this sound while I have it being setup.
Thank you so very much for your help!! Have a great day!
archive

It sounds to me like something in the floor has come loose. You could try going under and find the area that creaks and SLIGHTLY tighten up the lag bolts in that area. You may also find that the sub floor has come loose from the joist, you may have to find the joist and get a few screws down to stop it. Greg
archive

Hi,

I agree with Greg, but the sound happening when you are in bed has me baffled.

While you are down under checking the floor also check any duct work that might be in the area, maybe some has come loose.

~Yanita~
archive

Hi

I get the same noise in my master bedroom duct when the heater comes on. I have not been able to eliminate it.

Harry
archive

Thank you for the suggestions - would I check the loose sub floor from above (pulling up the carpet?) or be able to check all these from below? And what is the best way to minimally open the underbelly enough to check these things? Currently the underbelly is in fabulous shape--I am ordering some of the repair tape stuff but would rather it stay as intact as possible...
archive

Hello Happysmyly,

From what you've described, I think this may be your heating ducts, and not your subfloor.

You mention that you have a swamp cooler on your home. This tells me that you're in a dryer area of the country. If you're in an area like me, your heating ducts will expand and contract, making a popping noise. This might sound like the sub floor, but it's just the ducts. They run just under the sub floor.

Right now, we've been going from 50 degree temps to below freezing. Those ducts are popping here also!

Before ripping open the belly, let us know little about the area that you live in. I'm in N. Nevada, and this happens all the time. It causes no damage, it's just irritating at times.

Maureen 8-)
archive

Currently the trailer is in North Eastern Nevada--but we're moving it to North Eastern Utah--it's colder where we're moving (sounds similar to your temps, Maureen). Would insulation around the ducts help with the popping--but that would cause lots of open belly... hmmm - I guess we can just live with it :)
Thanks for your help!
archive

Hi,

Since your underbelly is in good condition your ducts are already protected by insulation. Your ducts run up under your insulation and then your underbelly material help hold the insulation in place.

Now if you step on on specific area of your floor and it squeaks, this can be fixed as Greg said, go underneath, find a lag bolt next to the frame near the area that your floor squeaks, gently snug it up. Do not over tightened as you can cause damage to the subfloor.

Good luck with the move, sounds like a fairly long road trip!

~Yanita~