Dumb question about window sill

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

archive

Hi. I have a pretty dumb question here. When I was recently looking at new homes I seen that many of them had marble window sills. But I chose a home without them. What I have is more of a paper covered particle board. I have no carpentry skills at all :cry: but would like to replace these sills with something more durable so i can put a plant on there without the worry of leaking or just in case I dont make it to the window quick enough when it begins to rain. Here in my area you can experience all 4 seasons in 1 day :-? and the weather can take you by surprise. But I dont have any idea how to remove the old sill and if I would use marble, what would I use to fasten it. I see small nails in the current sill. All advice welcome. Thanks!
archive

Hi

You may be able to leave the original sill in place and just add a sill on top of it.

You can make sills out of lots of material such as paneling, plywood, decking even marble.

Harry
archive

Great idea. Thanks. I would really like to use marble since it is waterproof.
archive

Hi

The Homedepot in my area stocks some marble. You can make a pattern out of cardboard and they will cut the marble for you.

Harry
archive

Personally, I would use a bull nose ceramic tile to finish off the sills. You can find these in marble and other finishes. The bull nose edge gives that ready made curve downward, that finishes the edge. They're much cheaper also! That's just my opinion!

That's what I'd suggest to use, if you're set on this type of material for the sills!

Just keep in mind, that your home should be set on a permanent foundation if you have any type solid tile surface in your home.

Ceramic, granite and marble are solid surfaces. Perfect installations require no movement at all. Our homes are designed to move... they travel down highways at 55 miles an hour to get to the site. Please keep this in mind!

It can be done easily, but the upkeep, will much greater than a stick built.

Maureen 8-)
archive

Another easy choice is deck stair steps/boards. They come in different sizes and usually just need slight adjustments to fit.

You can go with newer style non-wood types for weather resistance without treatments.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
archive

So much good advice. Thanks everyone. My main concern is durability. I love my new home :-D and want to protect it as much as possible and you folks have given me some great ideas. Now I need to choose the one to go with. Thanks bunches!