Bathroom flooded

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Agonzales7412

I have a 2013 Southern Energy Double wide. My guest bath is basically just like a regular single wide hallway bath. I have OSB subfloors. A few months ago the kids left the bathroom running. I vacuumed it all up and ran fans. I assumed all was well.

Last week we decided to replace the carpet in the bedrooms with sheet vinyl. As you know, they run flooring under the walls in mobile homes. When we cut out the vinyl from the adjacent bathroom we saw black stuff on subfloor. I filed a claim with insurance and I haven't heard back yet.

At this point, I want to add that we experience the The Great Flood of 2016 in South Louisiana. Thankfully our subfloors did not get submerged. Insurance sent out a water remediation co and they pulled out the old insulation. They also ran fans under the home and dehumidifiers inside. We put up closed cell spray foam insulation.

Back to the bathroom, after some back and forth discussions on how to deal with the subfloor, we will spray mold killer on the subfloor. Prime it with mold killing primer. We will install peel and stick groutable tiles. I know this seems to not be a popular choice in this group but I would rather something stuck to the floor rather than floating vinyl. Plus, I want the look of real tiles since the rest of the house as wood look laminate or vinyl.

We also bought a 36" vanity from habitat from humanity new in box with counter top and sink for $250. It has drawers instead of cabinets.

Questions:
1. Do I need to put down a wood underlayment for the vinyl? Keep in mind the subfloor will be primed.

2. How do we reroute the plumbing lines to accommodate the new vanity? The new vanity has legs and a bottom. However, it has drawers instead of doors and there is an opening in the center to allow for plumbing.

I keep trying to post pics but it says file to large so as soon as I figure out how to resize I will.
Annabelle G. :D
Agonzales7412

Ok here are the pics!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

Seal the sub floor up as you planned then put down some leveling compound to make the floor flat & smooth.

To completely hide the plumbing, you would need to work through the wall with it. It would take more work to do it that way. You may be able to come through the floor near the wall and build a box around it to hide it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Agonzales7412

Greg wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:02 pm Seal the sub floor up as you planned then put down some leveling compound to make the floor flat & smooth.

To completely hide the plumbing, you would need to work through the wall with it. It would take more work to do it that way. You may be able to come through the floor near the wall and build a box around it to hide it.

Greg
What leveling compound do you recommend? I tried to look it up but was a little overwhelmed with what to choose.
Agonzales7412

Here is the back of the new cabinet and current plumbing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Greg

the pro that I used to know used the powder mix. That was 10 years ago, so there may be something new & better.
This is one of those do some research and ask questions type jobs.

Plumbing looks good. I would leave it alone.

Greg
Agonzales7412

Greg wrote: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:29 pm the pro that I used to know used the powder mix. That was 10 years ago, so there may be something new & better.
This is one of those do some research and ask questions type jobs.

Plumbing looks good. I would leave it alone.

Greg
Thanks, I have to go back to Lowe's in the morning. I'll ask about some floor leveling products. I also need to get some water shut off valves. Unfortunately I have to pull the old vanity out since it was damaged from the tub overflowing. So, we have to move the plumbing lines to fit the new vanity. I am ok if the pipe shows from underneath since no one will see it unless they are laying on the floor lol!
Agonzales7412

Updates! I installed water shut off valves for the bathroom sink.

I pulled up flooring and the mold is just horrible.
Greg

Not real pretty, but I've seen a lot worse. As long as the floor is sound I would seal it up and go with it.

Greg
Agonzales7412

Yes, I think it is. I went on the other side (laundry room) and checked in the access panel and it looks ok under the tub. Waiting for for the floors to dry out to apply the primer.

I do wish I could put a bigger bath tub. With 4 growing kiddos, it's tough. I have been trying to get my boys (9 & 11) to take shower instead to avoid the spill over. WHY MUST THEY MAKE SUCH SMALL TUBS FOR MANUFACTURED HOMES?!
Agonzales7412

Sharing some pics of the progress! I painted the subfloor using "mold killing primer" from Lowe's. Sandstone color in a satin finish on the walls. Waiting for it to dry and then painting the trim white. Next step will be using the leveling floor compound. I'll post pics in my next update.
Agonzales7412

The LVT is done and grouted! I leveled the floor with Henry brand Premixed Patch N Level. It worked pretty good. There's really only 2 area where after installing the tiles I noticed a decent hump in the floor. Hoping the tiles "bend" to it.

Also, I just received a check in the mail from insurance for the damages occurred by the overflow! I had forgotten all about the claim!

I am waiting for the grout to dry and then we will install the vanity. We will have to reroute the plumbing to accommodate the new vanity.
Agonzales7412

I forgot to attach the pics in my last post!
JaniceGore

The floor should be properly sealed and insulated, the pictures show that the work is really done well. It is great that you had done an insurance for your house. Get back to the insurance claim and take special info from expert agents who can help you settle the claim. The insurance company may ask you a few question and get details about the flooding, report the loss occurred and you will get the proper coverage.