Question for JD

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

diyoldtimer

After viewing several roofing posts explaining the rolled roof someone suggested referring the question unto JD because he is the resident expert on roofing. I have just TSP'd the roof and rinsed it clean waiting for it to dry. I am going to use Henry Tropic-Cool. After doing some considerable research and talking to the product experts we decided to go with Henry Tropic-Cool. As I understand it I am to apply this product in 1 gallon increments which will cover 67 sq. ft. My question is: when I pour the gallon of product onto the roof that will cover 67 sq. ft. how will I know that the gallon will cover 67 sq.ft. -- 3/8 of an inch thick. Is a 'feel' for the way it is applied? How does one know or how is one supposed to see with the naked eye 3/8 of an inch. We are considering a second coat which would double the coating surface ti 3/4 of an inch and that would be another question. How does the naked eye see the addition of another 3/8 inch of product? Just want to make sure that the job is done right and I can post a job well done.
JD let me know of your experience with rooling a roof and I'm good to go. Thank you oldtimer.
JD
Site Admin

I have never used Henry Tropic-Cool, so be sure to follow the manufacturers instructions. I know that sounds too simple, but it is the most common mistake I see, especially in regards to prep and number of coats.

To be sure I am getting the right spread rate, I will use a chalk line and mark out a one-gallon spread amount, in your case 67SF, which is approximately 5.5LF on a 12ft roof section. I use a large soup style ladle, to fill a 1 gallon pitcher, disperse it pretty evenly in my 5.5x12 area, and spread with a coarse natural bristle push broom, the cheap ones in the concrete section of home stores.

A further comment is, I have never used a roof coating that will stand 3/8" thick. Usually they speak in terms of 3/16" or will say approximately the thickness of a quarter. I use Liquid Rubber (EPDM Rubber) a lot, and this is a one coat product, about the thickness of a quarter. Liquid Rubber and probably most elastomerics will self level with consistency, if you apply it pretty evenly.

I hope this helps.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.