Sheetrock & Door/Window Finishing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

StanD

Hi
Not in the trades so please bear with me on the terminology and assuming .5" sheet rock.

We are looking into sheet rocking our walls for aesthetics/insulation/sound proofing. Mostly, aesthetics. I'd want to pull the paneling down to move the outlets and switch boxes out .5". I also read that all baseboard, trim and electrical covers need to be removed to do that.

I am curious how to handle the trim where there is a doorway or a window as the sheet rock will obviously add thickness.

On the wall, coming up to a window sill, we could add some 90 degree trim/molding that is thick enough to cover the sheet rock. How do you account for the extra thickness on a door frame? When looking directly at the frame (1.5" thick) you'll see the wood of the frame and the sheet rock on either side of the frame.

What's the trick? Do I leave to door frame trim up and rock right up to it? The trim is .5" thick so the rock would be flush with it. Plus I'd have to trim around the frame to leave the panel behind the frame so I could remove the paneling. What am I missing?

Thanks.

Greg

If it is factory sheetrock, it is probably 3/8". Most factory electrical boxes are not attached to the studs but simply attached through the drywall. This would be the time to upgrade to stud mounted boxes, outlets & switches.

You will need to get creative trimming around windows & doors. Most factory trim is nothing more than paneling.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."