Barn Doors

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

diyoldtimer

Taking out the bedroom door and replacing it with a barn door. There are no 2x4 to screw into the length of the door and the length of the closet. Problem is that above the door and above the closet doors there is absolutely no support. Will installing a 2x4 above the door jam and above the closet doors be enough support to hole the 1x8 and the iron plate that holds the weight of the door and its ability to slide back and forth.
Ideas, thoughts, comments, oldtimer
I'm in the process of doing this and am waiting for comments :)
Greg

So if I am understanding correct, You are going to open up the wall and install a 2x4 header? You may as well reframe the closet to meet your needs.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Mark440

I did something similar to a bedroom closet as it was a full 7ft closet with one tiny door. Bear in mind i have the tendency to overbuild.

Got all my measurements for the opening size - and then kind of worked backwards from there. I ended up with framing studs (doubled up) on each end of the closet, then double 2x4 frame on each side of the door, and finally a header of a couple 2x6's with 1/2" plywood sandwiched in between, glued and screwed together - sitting on jackstuds added to the door frame. I did end up cutting a piece of 1.5" angle iron to run from end to end - and attached to all studs and the header.

It was a pain trying not to mess up the drywall on the outside of the closet, and I was able to conceal the screw heads with some color-matched paint. (I used deck screws for all of it as I doubt the flimsy structure that was there could have handled a nail gun or a hammer.)

I used bi-folds so not a lot of weight - but the frame is good and sturdy and doesn't shake or wobble when using the doors.
Opportunity has a shelf life.