Poor water pressure in some areas of MH

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Larry29936

I own a 1985 mobile home that has low water pressure in the laundry room and bathrooms. As was typical during that period, it was plumbed with 1/2" PEC tubing with no cutoff valves. My water source is a deep well. Water pressure in the kitchen is fine. I've already replaced the shower valves in my bathroom without any improvement. Is it possible that there's a mineral buildup in the PEC tubing? I'm about ready to tear out all the PEC and replace it with 3/4" PVC which is what runs from the pump house to the mobile home.

I'm open to suggestions before I go nuts and tear out all the PEC.
Larry29936

I need to make a correction to my original post.... the existing tubing is NOT PEX, it is gray polybutylene.
Greg

I didn't think that it was originally plumbed with PEX tubing. Most had the gray PB tubing (PEX is usually white). There were many lawsuits over the PB causing leaks.
Since you are on a well it is very possible that a mineral deposit is to blame, but usually in a fitting or valve somewhere. The layout of the system could be the problem also. There could be a kink in the tube also.
If you are going to totally re plumb the system I would only use PEX. Use a 3/4" Supply line and branch off of that with 1/2" to the faucets. Remember to add shutoff valves, use only brass or stainless BALL or Gate valves. Do not use stop valves or plastic body valves since they tend to fail when you need them the most. I also prefer to use the crimp style fittings and stay away from the pushlock style since I have had them develop leaks (not good inside a wall).

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Larry29936

Thanks for the quick reply, Greg. Most of the belly pan is already open (another project) so replacing the entire plumbing system is probably going to be the best and easiest way to go. Seeing as PEX is available in colors, I'll use white for cold water lines and a different color for hot water lines. I already have a PEX crimper and go, no-go gauges so all I'll need is PEX tubing and fittings. Ball valves will be installed on each line under each sink and toilet.