Any Suggestions on Covering over 12x12 self Stick

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Magicmanmb

Previous owner put 12x12 self stick tiles in bathroom. Can they be overplayed since it will take about 29 tiles. I know proper would be to gut but selling and moving due to health. Also they put carpet in the garden tub room it has to be pulled but what's the least expensive fastest lay down. Sheet vinyl was quoted at $1700 installed. That's with us doing the tear out of carpet and a 1/2 sheet subfloor replacement
Greg

I would either take it down to the subfloor, or the new vinyl will sink into the shape of the old vinyl. The other option would be to put something more substantial down like laminate. shop around and laminate can be found fairly cheap.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Magicmanmb

Been trying to find laminate at a reasonable price unless I can catch a closeout auction it tends to run $480 & up a square ft. I can get marble & granite countertops cheaper than flooring. Locally 2 big box & 1 dealer of flooring. 30 countertop dealers for granite etc... I redid the kitchen countertops in concrete they should be cured and ready to polish in 3 days. Copper & stainless backsplash working on a design now watching tv.

Our local prices are insane I bought 3 2x4 10' yellow pine to use as cripples to help hold up a couple of green board sheets with tax 16% It cost me $24 @ Home Depot this evening. Luckily the first thing I did when we bought this place was rip out all the polybutylene pipe and found 2 80 gal water heaters at a place going out of business only 1 mobile home repair place left in an area with 1200 or more mobiles/manufactured houses.

After this last hurricane I had to have emergency repairs done to the roof 3 tabs that were $17 before cost me $49 bundle after the storm, 80 a yard disposal & FEMA let us have $725 for 1500 sq of shingles, a 4 ton HVAC system and we weren't in a flood area but we built the foundation 40" off the ground with fish swimming in the yard. But none of the subfloor got damp what really was fun was a neighbors trampoline. You would not believe how many have asked how to get a copy of the repair book.
Greg

Your prices must have been set by the same guys that went to the auction I went to last weekend.
One guy got a "deal" on 2x4x8, $425 for a hundred of them!! 4x8 sheets of 7/16 OSB went for just under $19 a sheet. They MUST have taken their stupid pills before going or just don't understand that an auction is to get LOW prices, not see how much over retail you can pay.

Greg
Magicmanmb

They also add a 10 or 15% buyer premium depending on the auctioneer. Even with a resale license they charge 14.5% sales tax then you have to take it off your taxes.
Greg

10% buyer's premium Plus 8% sales tax.