Mudding over Textured Wood Paneling

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

xxfesterxx

I plan on doing this on my bathroom walls. Does anyone have any pointers etc. What type of compound would you use etc?
Mark440

I shot my living room with mud over the existing panels. The previous owner had removed the strip between the panels and had T&B the seams. Of course, it has cracked out at some of the seams.

If I were to do it again... I would leave the strips in place, shoot the wall with mud, lightly knock it down with a blade - and then wipe the mud off the strips with maybe a 1/4" gulley on each side of the strip. Yes, it will still look like 'panels' - but as the house shifts it won't yield the cracks that I now have in my living room.

You might also consider removing the strips and replacing with a more decorative trim piece.

FWIW - a plain old wet t-shirt works best to wipe down the mud from the strips.
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Markfothebeast

This is similar to a drywall finishing method called "skimming". I've experimented on all types of surfaces and the compound held up very well till this day. I'd clean the surface well before attempting to cover so that the compound sticks. Apply in light coats or you'll have cracking and peeling. Blow a fan on it for 6-8 hours between coats to thoroughly dry. Fine sand with 220 grit after about 3 coats. Fill until the desired results and do a final sanding. Usually 3 coats is what it takes for me. Skimming may take more.

For the compound I'd suggest a "Lite" compound or you'll be wanting to use a belt sander with some of the hard stuff that's out there. I believe the stuff I usually buy is called "Lite Blue" or something along those lines.