Replacing tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Koda1969

Hello everyone!
I was wondering if I might get some input on my mother's home. We are planning to re-do her bathroom. New toilet, vanity, etc. Right now, she has a standard bathtub with the three wall panel surround. Can we remove the bathtub and replace it with a shower pan to then tile the walls? If so, can we just take a sawzall to the tub to remove it, or is there some specific method to do it right? I'm a bit nervous, but we are both very handy and I'm hoping we can manage this project.

Thanks in advance!!
Greg

Yes, measure things up & go shopping. I pulled our tub in the master bath and put a 54" shower pan in. cutting the tub makes it easier to get out.

Tiles are not a good choice in mobiles. Mobile homes are DESIGNED to move, tiles not so much. There are lots of great looking fiberglass enclosures and doors out there.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Koda1969

Thanks! So, one stupid question..How do I get the tub drain out? The tub was old and the drain corroded. When trying to pull out the drain, the crossbar broke. I can get a flathead screwdriver under the lip of the drain, but I don't want to yank or pull because I'm not sure if I'm going to break something.
Greg

As long as you are not saving the tub, cut around it and give yourself some room to work. You will most likely find that you will need to work from under the home (through the belly) to reconnect the new drain, not a big problem you will just need to reseal the belly. Plus the odds of the drain lining up the same are about the same as the powerball lottery.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
1987Commodore

Look in the adjoining room for an access panel for the tub plumbing.