Some work I plan on doing on a 90's mobile home?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Hdale085

Hello, new to the forum and just looking for some info. We have this huge bay like window in our kitchen that is single pane glass. I want to replace it so that we can move our kitchen around and put the sink where the window currently is, so I need to put a much smaller window in. Part of the reason is to arrange the kitchen so it's more functional, the other reason is that replacing the big window with something more energy efficient is going to cost too much money. So I'm curious if anyone has made a window smaller on a mobile home and what is involved in framing in the opening and such?

Also another thing is the insulation on half of the bottom of the mobile home (the area towards the front where the kitchen is) is completely missing, I was thinking after running the new drain and water lines for the sink area that I'd spray foam the underside over there to insulate it and water seal it as I think it'd be a lot easier and have more of an effect over trying to staple batting up under there again with fiberglass insulation?
Greg

I have always maintained that with enough time, planning & money (not necessarily in that order) ANYTHING is possible.
If you have just a bowed window and not the whole wall things would be much easier. Another thing you have to think about is siding material, Can you match it or can you reconfigure to give you enough.
Foam insulation does a great job, but it is expensive. You may find fiberglass is more wallet friendly.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Hdale085

It's not really a whole wall bow out, I'll have to take a picture of it later. It's not deep enough to be one of those big bench ones, just like a small ledge really. Our microwave sits on it currently because we have next to 0 cabinet/counter space.

I was thinking of just getting a DIY spray foam insulation kit. The fiberglass stuff is certainly cheaper but it seems like such a pain to put up under there.
Greg

FYI, the last price I had on foam kits was around $1./sq.ft of 1" thick foam. So if you have 2x6 wall studs you are at $5.50/sq.ft. Well worth it for the job that it does, just expensive.

Pictures would help.

Greg
Hdale085

Can a window be mounted either horizontal or vertical?

Such as this
http://www.lowes.com/ProductDisplay?par ... &cId=PDIO1

Could I turn that sideways and mount it so that it's 54" wide?
Greg

To have proper sealing when the window is closed you would need to install the window in it's proper position. Windows are something you do not want to cheap out on.

Greg
Hdale085

Not trying to be cheap, just doesn't seem to be many wide windows.
Greg

Hdale085 wrote:Not trying to be cheap, just doesn't seem to be many wide windows.
That was more of a general statement, not directed at you. Buy a QUALITY window and do it right the first time. Many times you see cheap aluminum frame windows that are 100% guaranteed to leak.

Greg
Steve-WA

Special order the size you need at Lowe's or HD. Takes 2 weeks, but it's perfect.
Hdale085

But a special order window is quite a bit more expensive.
Greg

Hdale085 wrote:But a special order window is quite a bit more expensive.
Not necessarily, it depends on where it is ordered. Some do charge more others charge for shipping. As long as the manufacturer makes that size window there is really no reason to charge more to make it. There are some replacement window manufacturers that only build to your specifications.

Greg
Steve-WA

I have found the opposite. Windows at the MH store (not here) run up to $300-ish. Big-ass 4x8 window special ordered is like 200. And check with your electric provider; here, they'll rebate $75 per window for replacements.