Replacing bath tub

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

crackur

I was wanting to know if it would be an issue to replace a 54x27 with a 54x30 tub in a manufactured home?

Thanks in advance for any information.
gtpvette

I just did,,, although the one I replaced was 28" or so. I haven't reinstalled the toilet yet which is right next to the tub,,, I think I'll be OK. There never was a lot of room between the two. You will probablly have to redo the drain pipes a bit but that should be fairly easy. Post some pics when you get started. BTW,,, I got my tub at Home depot $149. It was a really good deal versus the fiberglass one at the mobile home store for $600.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Bootz-Indust ... /100389015
crackur

thanks for the reply.....I did look at that tub earlier as I've been shopping around for a guest bathroom.

I noticed the price is great but it had a lot of reviews of damage so I was a bit hesitant since the nearest one is an hr away and I dont have a truck but might fit in my SUV.

I was looking at one from Lowes.

below

http://www.lowes.com/pd_358170-15728-24 ... Id=3417000
gtpvette

I had the same concerns after reading the comments. I had to special order mine and I had them ship it to the store in case it was scratched. It was,, but just on the flange which wasn't a problem. I figured if it came in bad,,, they could keep it and order me another. I didn;t want it shipped to the house.
Greg

It may take a little to get it in place and looking right 3" may not seem like much, but it makes a big difference. These type of jobs are doable but like I said may take a little planning.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
crackur

this is a guest bath so I will not be in an immediate rush to have it done.

I'm still trying to figure out if I want to risk driving an hr to buy a cheaper priced tub and hope or get the one from the link that they have in stock at lowes.

Any advice on either?
gtpvette

Well I'm a cheap bastage,, so I went with the $150 one,, and I ordered the white cultured marble surround today for $294. I'll be in it for less than $500 total. That said,, I'm sure the one at lowes is a much nicer tub. Does your local Home Depot keep them in stock where you might look at one before you commit??
mattjslaunwhite

where i did a full gut and remodel i took the easy way and moved the tub to where it would fit better, replaced a 27" with a 30" myself lol
"The only thing impossible is being impossible itself" - my life motto
mattjslaunwhite

where i did a full gut and remodel i took the easy way and moved the tub to where it would fit better, replaced a 27" with a 30" myself lol
"The only thing impossible is being impossible itself" - my life motto
Greg

Do the math, an hour to Home depot, an hour back and no Guarantee you can even get it in the SUV. Run to Lowes and be done with it.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
crackur

I can get 10% of the one at lowes as well.
I remeasured the tub and that space and its actually 29 and it has wood molding around it that comes out to about 31-32 inches so I will have plenty of room.

Thanks for all your responses it does help and is greatly appreciative.