Fireplace. Gas or Wood burnig?

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

opinion free

Happy Holidays, to all.
The cold weather has me wanting to put in a fireplace. Never having lived with one, not sure which is best to go with. Running the gas line won't be hard, with everything being gutted out of the trailer. For that matter putting in a chimney shouldn't be that difficult either.
I live in the oppressively hot California desert area, but we got a good 6 months of great fireplace weather. So I ask, if you were going to put in a fireplace, would you go with gas or wood burning and why?
Thanks in advance for any input.
Greg

To me it depends on if you have a wood source. If you have to buy wood (around $70 cord here) it is not worth it. We have a Pellet stove here that we heat with, I just paid $260/ton of pellets that should take me through most of the winter.

I am not up on gas fire places so I really can't say much about them.

Here is a site that may help.
http://www.hearth.com/talk/

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Steve S.

In my opinion a gas-burning fireplace is nonsense. I have a wood-burning fireplace in my mobile home that I use for supplemental heat during the winter months, which can be quite long and cold here in northern New England. The fireplace was a significant factor in my decision to buy my MH because I enjoy the ambience, comfort, and joy of tending an open fire. But as a heating appliance, the fireplace is inadequate...it can heat my living room to maybe 65 degrees, but the rest of the home is still cold. Like Greg says, a free supply of firewood is nice to have...I have 5 acres of woodlands that supplies me with all the wood I need. But it takes time and effort to cut, split, stack and dry the wood, carry in to fireplace and tend to the fire...a gas-fired unit would definitely eliminate a lot of the work involved. The fireplace also keeps me warm during any protracted power outages in the cold months.
Steve
Greg

One thing I forgot to mention, Make sure what ever you use is mobile home approved.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Greg S

I would go with gas, especially in your location, simply for the convenience. Wood is hard work and dirty. The only people that should go for wood fireplaces are those people that truly enjoy the work involved in getting and using wood.
Fire places are inherently inefficient and are primarily for appearance so go for the convenience of gas. Flip a switch, immediate ambiance, no muss, no fuss and no clean up afterwards....and no burn marks on your floor from shooting sparks..
An individual must enforce his own meaning in life and rise above the perceived conformity of the masses. (Anton LaVey)
1987Commodore

My opinion, gas. With wood, you will lose most of your heat up the chimney. With gas, you'll likely need just a small vent to the outside.
jpingram5

If you got the wood and can prep it yourself without having to buy it then go with the wood. If not I would go with gas. The heat loss of the wood burning through the chimney is true but not too drastic.
2009 Skyline Sunwood Premier 14 x 80
Aaronjohn

I think gas fireplaces efficient.
Aaron John
www.247torontolocksmith.com