Anti Freeze V.S. Windshield washer fluid.

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

markjhansen

A plumber told me that after he blows out the waterline, he uses windshield washer fluid in his water lines instead of RV Antifreeze when winterizing his M.H.
What do you think?
Are there benefets to each one except for the cost?
I want to keep fluid in the lines due to alot of iron in the water.
Last winter i just blew out the lines and did not add anything.
This spring when I turned the water on there was so much rust in the pipes that it cloged the sink screens and the valves to one of the bathrooms.
The mobile home is kept in far northern wisconsin on the upper Michigan border.
Thanks for your reply.
Greg

Either should work, but w/s washer may evaporate from the traps since there is more water content.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
countrydan

Check the temp ratings on both i guess, but I would be very hesitant to add something to my septic that's not rated for it..
1987Commodore

Wait -- are you talking about drain or supply lines?
I think ww fluid contains alcohol. If so, the alcohol will rapidly evaporate, and then you have just colored water. I'll have to look at a jug of it tomorrow to be sure.
Also, I'm pretty sure it is toxic. If so, you do not want it in the supply side for sure.
ponch37300

The cost difference is so small between washer fluid and R/V antifreeze that I don't see ANY benefit to using washing fluid. Menards has it for 2.67 a gallon right now and an 11% rebate on top of that. Washer fluid is around 2 bucks a gallon. Washer fluid only goes down to -20 where as RV antifreeze is rated to negative 50. Personally that extra 67 cents is worth the 30 degree insurance to me.

I don't know hoe many gallons you will need, I used to have a travel trailer and if I remember right it took about 3 gallons. So even if you triple that amount you're only talking a 6 dollar added expense to use the right stuff. 6 dollars is a cheap insurance plan to me. I just don't see any benefit to using washer fluid, not even price to me.
markjhansen

Thanks for your comments.
I will not take a chance and will use the Antifreeze instaed of the washer fluid.
I am sure that any washers or other plumbing parts that come in contact will be safer as well because
the antifreeze seems to be sort of oily or lubricated.
Thanks again