Hi again, I'm still around

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Jim from Canada

Gosh, I have not been here for a long while. I hope every one is doing well. I have been busy but not with home repairs, thus my absence.

Anyway, we have been in out mobile home for over 14 years now and we love it still. There have been issues in the past with water and the land owner but that has come to an end. At the start of this year the park was sold and from what I hear from the new owners, things may start to improve. I have actually put in for the job as the maintenance guy for the park. I don't know what the duties will be yet as that is a discussion yet to come, if he wants me. A few other people have put in for it too, a couple of heavy drinkers and one with poor health and the current folks who do the maintenance are recommending me. So, we will see.

Just wanted to touch base with you all. Marc and Lise I hope you are doing well and thanks for still being here.
Greg

One thing you want to discuss with the new owner is how he wants you to do the job. The owner of the park we were in was CHEAP. If a repair costs $100 to do right, he would find a way to cob it up for $50 and the people he hired worked just as cheap and could find a way to cut corners on a circle.
Remember to hold your ground and stick to your principals. Many park owners can squeeze a nickle so hard it turns into a quarter.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Jim from Canada

Yes, I will keep an eye on that...The park has only been in new hands since the new year and the owner is saying all the right things so far. He has another park he took over a while ago and from my research he cleaned it up a lot and people are pretty happy there. Beats the "nothing" the previous owner here did.
MizFurball2u

Hi, Jim. I remember you. I haven't been here in a while, either. Also, hi to Mark, Greg and JD.
steelworkersgal

Hi Jim glad your back.
You can do anything if you put your mind to
Jim from Canada

We got a big document to sign.....It says park rules but looks more like a lease agreement. Lots of things in there we don't agree with and are not enforced by the Landlord/Tenant act here so we are not signing it and going to keep on a month to month as we have for the last 14 years.

No word on the maintenance job yet, but he did mention to the current retiring people that he will have to go and buy a riding mower. I hope, if he wants to hire me, that he speaks with me first as I have a lot of ideas that may save him a few dollars and make everyone's life easier. Overall though, I think they sound like fairly reasonable people.
Greg

We had the same problem when we were in the park (SO glad to be out), about all the lease was good for was a way for the owner to force you to pay for the rest of the lease term when they found a way to evict you.

Greg
Jim from Canada

One of the things they have in the new "rules" is to show proof of insurance every year. Totally not required according to the LTA here, and no rule that says they can enforce such a measure....unless of course, you sign it, indicating that you agree to those terms and conditions.

Another is a "no fence" policy. Mine has been up for over a decade and it's not coming down. It stops people from driving over the weeping bed of my septic system (I live on the end of a dead end street), which would cost the owners money to repair the damage.

Some rules make sense, others just make you scratch your head and mutter under your breath at how dumb they are.
Greg

The fence issue was one of the last straws (the other was the neighbor that pulled a gun on my wife), The no dog rule was another one. The major problem is that you are subject to the daily whims of the owner.

Greg
Jim from Canada

I'm not pulling down my fence.

In Ontario they cannot discriminate on the pet thing, viewing them as family members, within reason of course. They are stipulating that dogs aren't allowed outside between 10 pm and 7 am, but if my dog wakes 4 am needing to go for a pee, that is what is going to happen. If they have a problem with that they can take it up with the SPCA. Making an animal hold it's water, to me, is cruel. I know how uncomfortable I can get when I have to go.
JD
Site Admin

A big hello to MizFurball2u, steelworkersgal, Jim from Canada and Greg. Anyone who remembers me has been a member here for quite a while. I have been mostly MIA for years.

I still work on mobile homes but the majority of my free time is spent playing music in the band Featherbone and other music activities here in Fresno, CA. You can find me and Featherbone on FaceBook, if you are interested.

To make this a repair related post, I will now recommend my favorite tool, the RIDGID 6 Amp 1-Handed Orbital Reciprocating Saw. This is the mini sawzall. Small, light weight and handy! This saw has a 1/2' throw (back and forth movement of the blade), which allows you to plunge cut into wood without drilling an access hole. It is excellent for floor work as the 1/2" throw allows you to cut through plywood and OSB, while keeping the blade from going too deep, like in to wiring and pipe. It is also excellent as a plumbers saw, being a small, one handed operation saw, that cuts through ABS and CPVC like butter.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/RIDGID-THRU- ... /100646504
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.