Should I glue up all the drywall? What about tape and finish

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Billy123

Hello guys / gals! Its been awhile...

My 14x70 has been sitting in the same spot for 30 years. I would like to think that its has done all the settling its gonna do. Anyway i am in the process of putting in the new bathroom. (We gutted this thing and saved it from a bulldozer). Should we have done that? It remains to be seen...

Now I don't have any walls,insulation, drywall or paneling. All I have is brand new 3/4 plywood, a lot of new floor joists & some misc pex hooked up. I bought my first batch of 1/2 inch green rock today along with some 1/4 regular drywall for the holes in my ceilings.

When hanging this drywall should I screw and glue to the walls and the ceiling? What about joint compound and tape? I am looking for a finished product that will last. What do you guys think?
Billy123

We went with R13 in the walls with the paper backing. The edges of the insulation had paper ears that folded out. So we stapled them in place and covered the bathroom with 1/2 green rock. This made glue a no go for us. I have a drywall guy next door that's going to finish all the new rock in each room as we finish.

I know you guys don't like to use 1/2 rock in mobiles. However the new 1/2 rock that i am using is 1/3 lighter. I'm told its like hanging the old 3/8 rock weight wise.

I guess we shall see if the walls can handle the weight. I know the floor can on the edges. I tied it all with double 2/6's and subfloor glue to the outer rim joist between all the floor joists. The floor under all the walls must be twice as strong as when it was new.