Hot water TPR line routing

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

Mark440

The hot water heater was replaced shortly before I bought this place - and was installed with not much thought towards serviceability. Although the inlet and outlet are on the flex tubing, the unit is turned so that access to the thermostat or elements is a no go. The WH has been in place for right at 10 years now.

I recently was doing some electrical work so had to shut off power to the whole house. While the power was off, I figured I would inspect the underside below the WH for any signs of leakage, etc. To my disappointment, the TPR line was spitting a bit of water.

Replacing the valve is not a major issue - but I have concerns about the discharge being under the house. Seems it would make more sense to route outside the skirting - maybe with that 'funny' pipe (the black flexible stuff). Being there is a moisture barrier - the water has a tendency to pool in the various wrinkles.

Are there any issues I should be aware of in replacing the line and/or routing outside the skirting?
Mark
Opportunity has a shelf life.
Mark440

Sorry - a second question!

Is there some sort of device that can be installed on the TPR line that somehow lets homeowner know there may be an issue? I know my hvac has a float contact for the condensation line. Is there something similar for water heaters?

It just seems that water heater issues seem to always be a "Surprize!!".....
Greg

If you are running an electric water heater, 10 years is about time to look at replacement. Mark has water leak detectors in the site store.

As far as running the relief line outside, I don't see a problem just remember to check it of any leaks from time to time.

Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
JD
Site Admin

TPR lines usually just die off before they hit the ground but I don't think there is any problem with running out of the house. It probably should not be in front of steps or an area of high traffic. If I remember right, that is what the code says. Depending on the condition of the floor in the water heater compartment, the WH should be pretty easy to turn, facing out. May require a little plumbing if the flex lines are not long enough or you could get longer gas and water flex lines. The legs of the WH may be anchored to the floor with a screw/bracket. No big deal. The TPR line should be rerouted to be straight/plumb. Drill a new hole and plug the other.

Replacing the WH is also an option, as Greg says.
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Mark440

The only "code" info I could find says the mouth of the line has to remain a couple inches above the floor. The piece i read said it cannot be run directly to the outside. I inadvertently closed my browser and have yet to find that page again. It was written in section/sub/sub/sub format - but no idea what year or part of the country - or if it is even THIS country.

But!! The TPR line usually dumps into a drain - which can be routed outside! So, I believe I will put a simple drain through the floor and route it to the outside of the skirting (still under the decking).

I'm hoping it might serve two purposes: first, a drainage point for the TPR valve. Second - a drainage point for the HW heater in case I don't get it replaced before it does start to leak!

Thanks for the info and the suggestions!!
Steve-WA

So many people don't even say the location where they are asking about, i.e. where they live (sigh). Where *I* am, in western WA, it is required to run it outside the skirting, elbowed to drain down, 6-12" from the ground. 3/4" pvc with 2 elbows thru a hole in the deck, and one in the skirt. Easy peasy.