Double Wide Creation (Renewal)

Repair help for the do-it-yourselfer.
For mobile home parts, click here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark, mhrAJ333, JD

kinyocase

It was far from glorious. I hooked a chain around the center axle and through my other house. Connected it to a cat 980B and started to use a turnbuckle to tighten it bit the chains kept twisting. Took off the turnbuckle started the 980B and slowly pulled the house sideways. 2" from the second house my chain decided to snap. Nobody anywhere near as my wife and I were using radios to communicate.
kinyocase

Figured I would throw up a couple pictures. I have been working 8am to anywhere from 5-8pm so my time is not too favorable right now. Anyway this is the back side of the house dirt and the house moved over.

That giant tractor makes super quick work of moving dirt, but it's far from finesse. I'm going to have another guy come in with a back hoe and get it finalized for me. Hope you guys like the progress I'm making and I'm still working on updating for you.
kinyocase

Been quite a while since I've made a post on here. I'm making slow but steady progress between work and the house. I've gotten her completely level and going back to the original frost free foundation to see if this works. My wife and I spent 6 hours last Wednesday and 11 hours Thursday working on the house. We tore down that glorious black wall and framed in a 16 oc 2x4 stud wall with a 60x80 sliding glass door opening.

After getting this far we tossed on some house wrap and tossed in the sliding glass door.

After getting the sliding glass door in we went ahead and started putting some more siding up on this north wall to allow us to install the walk door at the rear of the house.

This last image I posted on my facebook so blurred out the foreground mess to put more sight on the house.

Hope you guys are enjoying my slow progress and I continue to look forward to posting more progress.
UmpJJ

Wow! Great work! Looks like you'll be living in a private club car on a train!

UmpJJ
kinyocase

Had a few rain showers today to work between and got a bit more accomplished. Still making decent headway, but out of wood til Payday now. Have 16" left at the front corner to finish up then start around the front.

ponch37300

That paneling really looks good.
kinyocase

Thanks for that Ponch. It is positive comments like that, that really make you feel better about the work you're doing.

I wanted to put up a little comparison shot from when I got it to where I have it now on the inside. Spent another hour today cleaning out the living/kitchen and tearing out the carpeting and cushion pad.

This first image is the day I brought it up to my property. May be a few days after but was certainly before I started making any changes to the inside. As you can tell looking in this image is the kitchen which will be turned into the third bedroom of the double wide.

This image below was just taken today. I still have quite a bit of cleaning up to do, but feel like I'm making pretty decent progress. Waiting until Tuesday to buy some more materials for the build.

In both image you can see a silver box below the upper cupboards on the right hand side of the kitchen. This is a built in stereo that I can only assume had to be aftermarket?

There are four speakers wired into the Kit. Two are on the master bedroom and two are mid way through the living room area just above the new sliding glass door.

My plan is to take the electro brand out and relocate the system to the right hand side of that same cabinet area as well as replace it with a newer unit. I will also replace all four speakers with some newer speakers.
1987Commodore

That was most likely factory installed. It's nice to have the ceiling speakers, but when the unit dies, having it built in means some carpentry has to be done, because you know a replacement won't be the same size. No problem in your case. There was probably a built in microwave below it.
kinyocase

Has been a very long time since I posted here. I have been working many hours on the ranch and not near enough on the merger. However I now have 25' of the underbelly re-insulated, the rear entry way rotted wood pulled up and replaced with plywood, and the two images you'll see below depicting the bit I have done inside.

This shows one of the entry points from new house into old house. I still have it blocked off due to the cold weather and needing more insulation in the new half. It has been a long process to get here, but I feel I have been making decent progress for doing all the work myself.

This image contains a question. I made a mistake and neglected to frame in for the bedroom window where the insulation is missing. The window will span just shy of the opening, and over half the height. Now most of the windows I house wrapped the studs and placed the windows in the frames followed by taping and covering with the siding.

For this window I will have to cut out the siding and determine the best way to frame it in. If anybody has any recommendations for this big mistake please feel free to share.

Kinyocase
kinyocase

Okay, I know it's been a while. I'm still plugging away at this, but in the thick of winter things are slow. Income tax will go toward paying for the roof on this beast. I'm thinking Pole Barn style roof...However I'm running into an issue with the already peaked roof. Any tips on "pole barning" this beast? Trusses will be impossible due to the peak, I don't want weight directly on the houses so that leaves me with a possible ridge beam style build? However, that doesn't seem all that doable for this construction. Any tips would be awesome appreciated.
1987Commodore

Well, you could do a ridge beam with a salt box style roof. That would keep the peak lower. Or you could rip off the peaked roof and use trusses. And you are absolutely correct in the pole barn style to keep the weight off the walls.
kinyocase

I had thought about that salt box style but had no idea that is what it was called. It was my original plan, but wasn't sure ridge beaming would suffice. I don't want to tear down the peaked roof as I love having all that headroom inside the house. Thank you loads for the info I will look into that Saltbox style a bit more!

[Thinking this over...I feel this will lead to the front side of the roof having far too small of a slope for all the snow we get here. I mean I guess if I had to I could shovel it all off, but hmm more thought necessary.]
1987Commodore

Hmmm. Just a wild thought here. Pour footers for your "poles," so that the wood is above ground. Use treated posts, with adequate spacing and beams to support the roof. Maybe even steel I beams? Set your trusses over the peaked roof height. Extend the exterior walls to the trusses, then remove both trailer roofs, and you have maybe about 9 foot ceilings throughout. Maybe someone with real building experience can advise if this is feasible.
cajunla83

Interesting read