AC not turning on from Thermostat

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

sunnyjay70

Hi...I am am not able to get my Thermostat to start the AC.

I was using a lawn trimmer to clean up over grown grasses near the AC unit outside the house. before that the AC was working fine.

I noticed a thin wire that comes out of my house and goes inside the air conditioner unit outside, is totally stripped on couple of spots and badly eroded at few spots too. This has two thin wires and were in contact with each other. I think that wire is known as the 24V control wire.

Also i noticed that the furnace circuit breaker On the main circuit breaker panel was turned off. I did turn it on, and tried to start the AC from the thermostat. The thermostat was flashing "cool on" but the AC was not kicking in.

Please advice

Thanks and with regards
Sunny
sunnyjay70

Hi..anyone with any questions or suggestions....i was really hoping for some helpful advice!

tks
sunnyjay70

Posting the picture of the control wire that i mentioned in my post above:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
flcruising

This is in fact a control wire.
It sends 24V to the contactor inside the condensing unit. These wires come out of the air handler, so you should start there to check for 24V off the secondary side of the transformer. Shorted wires could have burned up the transformer. The wires will need replacing or splicing with waterproof wire nuts. Solid strand telephone or bell wire is acceptable as long as it's of a similar gauge.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
sunnyjay70

Thank you so much for writing back.

I have some more news. I also tried to turn on the Heat and the FAN-Only , but none seems to work either. I also opened up the furnace and looked around and could not find anything resembling a fuse. I have uploaded the pictures of the box containing the transformer showing all the thin wires connected to it, and the picture of the transformer itself with all the wires.

Not sure if the transformer will smell burnt..but I could not smell anything burnt there. All wire also looks well connected..

(1) Also if you can tell me which side is the secondary side of the transformer..and how to measure it with a multimeter...(where does the read terminal and the black terminal touch to measure this secondary voltage)

Please advice how to troubleshoot further please..
Thanks again

SJ
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.