Heat vent in a furnace room - open or close

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

We have our furnace in a closet in the laundry room. There is a heat vent on the opposite side, next to the back door. Even with the vent closed, this room stays warm. I was told by a heating guy that had to fix my furnace that all vents should stay open. I asked him why this one - I'd rather the heat go to the opposite end of the home where it is cooler - but he really didn't think it would matter. However there's a gush of air coming out of this vent because the duct is so short from the furnace, I guess.
archive

Usually in a standard stick built home the code requires combustion air in a closed closet. Sometimes they will bring it in from outside and sometimes they will allow you to cut a small register in the supply duct in the closet with an allowance that most homes leak enough air to make up the forced air in the closet.

If you have a standard Mobile home furnace the manufacturer has already taken this into account because HUD requires it. The only problem with shutting off registers in mobiles is that you might get to high of a supply air temp that could cause harm the the heating equipment. Most mobiles have very restricted duct to start with and when you start to close them problems can happen.
archive

Ok Thanks! In fact the first winter after our home was set up, we had the heating guy come out 3 times to replace a pressure switch that kept failing. We also found the infamous blinking 4-times light that meant the upper limit was reached. He found the problem - we got an upgraded furnace with the house, but they forgot to upgrade our ducts, so they were too small and heating up the furnace too much. He thought that was why the pressure switch kept failing. That was when he said I should open up all the vents to keep the furnace from overheating. Also, he lowered the size of the fuel orifice to lower the heat in the furnace. It worked, I didn't complain, even though I did pay for the larger furnace. Oh well. Thanks.