Covering the outside A/C condenser unit.

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

I've seen some that are covered during the winter months and some are not. We've been told not to cover them because it would keep moisture trapped inside. Is this correct? Since we have a new unit, I want to make sure to take care of it properly!

Thanks.
gram2logan
archive

Covering the outside A/C unit is a discussion that has pros and cons. All the years in the HVAC business has taught me every one will have a different opinion.I have 3 central A/C units in my house and none of them are covered completely. I use plastic garbage can lids to cover over the top of the unit to keep the leaves and other debris out. I also weigh down that plastic lid with a small concrete brick so it does not blow off in the winter. The unit in my mobile home is treated the same way.

My mobile home unit is a 1984 model and the units in the house are 1985 units and they have suffered no bad outcomes from not being covered completely.

hvac1000
archive

Mine is same as HVAC, top covered only. This prevents leaves/debris or heavy winter rains/snow from getting inside.

Rest is open to allow moisture to escape and keep corrosion/rust down to minimal.

The outside Condensers were made for outdoors and will be fine with top only covered.

BTW, I use a half sheet of treated plywood with cement blocks on top. It hangs over sides much like a home roof overhang.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert
archive

Thanks guys. That's what I thought.

gram2logan