Fireplace Repair

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

BRouse2801

My father inlaw's mobile home has a wood burning fireplace in the main room he uses often in place of heat. Last winter it developed a crack in the back wall of it. My question is: Is it possible to repair and how? Or is our only course of action to replace it? Any and all help is appreciated. :)
Greg

Hi & welcome. For Safety's sake, REPLACE IT!! A life is not worth the cost. You may be able to do a pellet insert. Check with a stove dealer in your area. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
BRouse2801

The fireplace looks like one you might find in an established home, completely built into the wall. Looking at the damaged piece, It's not actually part of the wall, so it looks like we just remove the clips on the top and slide them out. I'm not sure what you mean by a pellet insert, but we are looking into replacing the piece along the back of the fireplace. Just trying to find out who might carry it in Central Florida. Home is about 15-16 yrs. old?
Greg

Since you are in Florida, Pellet stoves may not be that popular there. But there are many inserts that fit into a fireplace to turn then into a wood stove.

You could check the yellow pages for "Fireplaces" and make a few phone calls to get a few ideas of what is available to you there. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Robert

I would get someone out experienced in those and seek their advice on it.

It may can/could be repaired, but I wouldn't touch it in a mobile home especially.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?