A-Coil Pan Overflowing?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

John-B

I have an updraft Lennox (G12Q-110-7) furnace with central air. I noticed some water accumulating in the blower / filter chamber at the bottom. Various photos have been uploaded.

I removed the a-coil pan drain line and it was dripping as expected; however, I cleaned the plastic elbow and pan bung with a curved nylon gun brush, then a lot of flow was relieved with some sandy type reddish brown and white - algae / rust. There is still some drippage, but it may stop once the remnant wetness finds its way to the bottom OR the pan has a hole rusted through it. The pan appears to be galvanized metal from observing the bung.

The top of the furnace is only slightly tilted away from the drain (1/16-inch over 1-foot), rather than level or towards the drain. The concrete bricks do have wood shims on the opposite side of the drain, so when it was installed they did attempt to level the unit. I do not have any “duct play” to install additional shims.

I would like to clean the a-coil pan, because I suspect there is a lot of debris (algae) restricting the trough flow toward the drain. The a-coil is probably dirty too. This unit is 20-years old and never cleaned since I lived here (15-years).

QUESTION # 1: How do I access the a-coil or at least the a-coil pan? I understand the a-coil may rest on supports, suspended above the pan. The duct work appears to be inaccessible without cutting it or somehow disassembling some seams. From the photo I took from above, of the a-coil, through a removed duct, it appears the there is not much space between the a-coil and the duct wall, so cutting (air nibbler, shears, jigsaw) may not be an option.

QUESTION # 2: Also what do you think about algae killing tablets?

Thanks
John-B
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Robert

Hi,

IF a panel for removal was not included in install, then you will have to cut one in order to get to the coil.

Go to our website, click HVAC, then ARTICLES and see cleaning your a/c and cleaning a furnace blower for tips on cleaning everything.

Algae tablets are great. need to get the pan level or slightly pitched toward darin.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?