The kind of A.C. units in motels

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Betsy

What is the name for the typical motel AC/heating unit in most motels? They are installed in the wall but are larger than a typical "window" unit. Usually they are installed low down, near the floor and have a lift up door for accessing the controls. What are they called and why don't we see these used in homes?
Robert

Hi,

Those are called PTAC units. They are found and used in some homes, but not normally due to size, cost and in wall installs.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Betsy

Thank you again Robert.
Robert

You're very welcome.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
GraceNC

Betsy wrote:What is the name for the typical motel AC/heating unit in most motels? They are installed in the wall but are larger than a typical "window" unit. Usually they are installed low down, near the floor and have a lift up door for accessing the controls. What are they called and why don't we see these used in homes?
A PTHP is what I want...it's like a PTAC except it has a heat pump, too. These are perfect for heating/cooling zones (as in hotels, college dorms, etc).

Can't seem to find anyone who uses them. If I don't get these I'll end up geting baseboard heat. But it just seems these units would work well in a manufactured home. The installation looks simple- just have to make sure it's braced well. And through the wall would mean I could take out my window a/c units!!!!
Betsy, if you find more info- would you come back and post it here? Thanks!
Betsy

Having a heat pump included would be better yet!! To me the best part of using this type of unit would be - NO MORE DUCTWORK under the house to worry about. My ducts have been damaged by mice so I know at least some of my cool air is leaking. I don't use my furnace to heat the house in winter because I think the heated ducts is what attracts the mice to move in and use them as bedrooms. I "mothball" my ducts all winter, sealing under the registers so that the odor stays out of the house, and use three space heaters instead. I will question the service tech who comes here tomorrow about using the PTAC and PTHP type of equipment and I'll post what I learn.
GraceNC

That would be great if you would come back and post what you find out.

I removed my ductwork/furnace for that very reason. Ductwork is a pain! Maybe not for everyone or in every location. But I'm in the woods and after the heater just losing ability year after year, I crawled underneath and discovered ductwork coming lose in many places, insulation bunched up in places where critters made nests- they find a way in!

I just took it all out! Took out the furnace and made the bedroom bigger.

Right now my electric bill goes from $50 monthly- and that's summertime a/c going all the time (but they are energy star and have 4) to over $300 monthly in the winter- using those plug in oil filled radiator heaters from Lowes/Home Depot.

My hope is that with baseboard or the through the wall units like hotels have- my bill won't go above $300 but this time I'll be warm.
Betsy

My area is woodsy too. I've been under my MH repairing large holes in the ducts and then repairing the black plastic sheeting but it's an ongoing battle, the mice just find other ways in and out. My summer electric bill gets up to $150 to keep the house at 82 - 84 degrees. Winter I use space heaters and only heat my bedroom at night. When I come out in the morning it's as low as 40-something in the rest of the house. I wonder if that's bad for my computer? I had the oil filled heaters that you have but now I have two "tower" shaped heaters that have remote controls. It is very nice to kick up the heat from the warmth of my bed before venturing out. The third space heater in my living room is the kind that looks like a free standing fireplace. No thermostat on that one. I plan to buy a plug in temperature controller for it from Amazon before next winter so that I can keep the living area at a less drastic level overnight. Winter bills can get as high as $150 too. Sometimes the idea of a small cozy well-built condo temps me.
Betsy

Okay, I asked the guy who came to service my machine why more people did not use the PTAC/PTHP type of AC in their homes and he flat out scoffed at me. Gave a sharp sarcastic laugh as if it was the dumbest idea he had ever heard. I think his attitude was that it would be expensive to use them since you'd have to use one for each zone, that it would be a wiser choice to install window units through the wall instead. My mom lives in a one bedroom apartment and she has two of the PTHP units, one in the living room and one in the bedroom. Seeing them is what made me think of it in the first place. They look nice, run quiet, and sit low so not only are they unobtrusive but she even utilizes the tops for displaying things like framed pix or figurines. Seems like a good way to go to me but again, if they cost over a grand each it would be undo-able for a lot of us. By the way, I mentioned to the repair guy that my ductwork was damaged and he said it would cost $450 to replace. I said I'd go with window units (installed through the wall not in the windows) and he said that is exactly what he did. And he's been in HVAC all his life so it's not just us who have given up on under the house ducting systems.
Robert

each way, through wall window units, piac/pthp and ducted systems have their place.

Each home is different and has its own best way for that home.

IF going the ducted system route, best to only do it the conventional home way and that often negates it due to cost.

Cost is the driving factor more often than which is truly the best way.

August will be my 31st year out of 51 years, so been it a while also.

Go with the best way that is within your monetary feasibility.

Thanks ,
Robert