Make your AC cooler

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

Lorne

On those 100 plus degree days the AC Compressor works a lot harder the hotter it gets, so here is an idea, though I haven't tried this on our home AC unit YET.
If your AC is in the sun during the hottest part of the day get a "mister hose", wrap it around the outside unit so it sprays on the louvers where the air is sucked in where it is supposed to keep the coils cooler.

I used to do this (with a pump sprayer) on a tour bus in LAS Vegas while it was parked at temperatures of 100 to 125 degrees for hours. It worked when cooling it down before I loaded passengers.

Sound crazy, but think of those misters in shopping Malls in Arizona and other really hot cities in the west.

I will hook something up this year and try it out.

Any thoughts?
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
Robert

Soft water mist for cooling the coils is fine as long as it does not get on electrical controls or the motor.

Do not wrap anything around the condensing unit however as it will block airflow over the coils.

A water sprinkler works good if you set it so it just sprays on the coils.

You can also shade the unit in different ways, just don't block the sides and top from airflow.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
flcruising

I have done this, and it does work, but are a couple of drawbacks.
1) Without some way to turn on/off the water with the unit, then you will waste some water. A misting system's flow is minimal, but even a timer will help. Otherwise you'll be relying upon yourself to remember to turn it on/off at the right times of the day.
2) A filter is necessary. The summer that I did this, I noticed a slight mineral build-up on the coil fins. It took a few months for it to happen with my well water since my water quality is excellent, but others may have more of a problem with it.

Just a couple of things to keep in mind.

I suggest a sun shade as a better approach as there's no or low maintenance required. Just be sure to not interfere with the airflow.
[color=blue]Aaron[/color]
Lorne

Some real good points, thanks flcruising.
1987 Craftsman Double Wide 42x28,w/attached 28x12 foot enclosed porch/ re-shingled 2 yrs ago. Original exterior vinyl w/no sheathing.
psalmx

I ran across this a couple years ago but thought it would use to much water. http://www.mistcooling.com/acprecool.html