Smell of kerosene after new furnace install

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

myboyrusty

Back again fellas.....as I said I had a new thermo pride kerosene burning furnace installed. Now,I am getting a a strong smell of raw kerosene coming from the opening where the lines run from the furnace to the supply lines under the furnace.Should I smell ANY kerosene odor at all from this furnace or should I be smelling nice clean air? I thought I might be imagining things until my girlfriend came over and smelled the kerosene too.Talk about frustration wth my oil co. I hate to even call them out because they took 3 years to acknowledge that I had a bad heat exchanger in the old miller. I was about to change companies after this new install. Now,it looks like I am stuck with these people to come out and fix this problem.They haven't sent me a bill for the new thermo pride yet.This a very sticky situation I'm in. These people have been out to the house so many times that I don't even want to see them again.Any advise?
Robert

Hi,

No choice but to call them back or forfeit the warranty on new furnace. If you cannot get satisfaction, then get another reputable hvac contractor to inspect it.

Not something that can be diagnosed from here.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
Greg

The only thing that I would do on your own is to take a close look at the fuel supply line for any signs of leakage. Kerosene does have a strong odor that may be sucked through the ducts if the leak is near air intake. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
myboyrusty

Thanks fellas... I was so sick of smelling the kerosene that I was looking for leaks at 3 AM today. And,you were right. The supply line connection wasn't tight enough and there was kero on the line where it's connected to the burner. He said he tightened it even more and I should have no more problems. I'll believe it when I see it. In the meantime I'm going to find a new oil co when the time is right.
Thanks again,
Dave
Greg

If it is copper tubing, it may have a bad flare on the end that needs to be redone. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."