Blown Coolant Line?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

curmudgeon7

Sitting inside house today when I heard a pop, saw what looked like smoke or dust going by the window and the dog outside began barking like crazy. Rushed outside where the dog was growling and barking at outside part of AC unit. Came back inside and shut off unit. Went back outside and could hear a hissing sound and smelled a chemical smell. Turned off all power to unit. Checked around unit and saw bubbles in small amount of water that had dripped off the line. Could this be a blown coolant line? I will call my repair person on Monday but like to give him an idea before he comes out since I live in the country and more than 1 visit gets costly. Fortunately, our temps are only supposed to be in the 80's this weekend, not our normal 100+ for this time of year. Thanks for any information.
Robert

Hi,

Could be blown compressor terminal(s) or a refrigerant line if dog was messing with it.

IF compressor terminal(s), will have to replace the compressor or unit.

Look all around condenser inside as well as outside and see if you see what appears to be an oil bath.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?