heat/air

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

bekki

ok here is the problem, i am at my wits end, and do not know what else to d.: i have a 1989/90 double wide. it has a 3.5 ton heat pump. it is a 1248 square foot mh. i set the thermostat on 75 during the summer, the unit never turns off all day and the temp in the mh never gets below 80...when it is in the high 90/'s outside the temp is about 85 or so....all the duct work has been replaced, the windows have been replaced, and i am in the process of putting vinly siding on. in the winter i have to wear a jacket in the house cause it never gets warm. the living room ha vaulted celings, and the kitchen and dining room also have higher ceilings. i was told replacing the duct work would help, it has not, my heat pump is not large enough, but i think that is the recommened size fo the sf. the windows are not helping, wonder if lowering the ceilingn will help? need bigger heat pump, due to high ceilings? blowing in insualtion? my power bill in the summer months is about 360.00 and it never gets below 80, there is a problem somewhere. any suggestions?
thanks
ann
Greg

Hi & welcome. It does sound to me like you have a problem. Many utility companies will send someone out to do check. There are also companies that will come out and do testing to find the leaks.

I am sure others will add to this with more ideas. Greg
"If I can't fix it, I can screw it up so bad no one else can either."
Harry

Hi

Our MH is about the same size. We set the thermostat at 80. We have ceiling fans. Bills in the summer are $160 to $180.

Harry
Aside from the roof leak, soft floors, rats, mice and bursted plumbing ........ how do you like it?
JD
Site Admin

I will move this post to the All Other HVAC Questions forum. There are experts and enthusiasts there that may have some ideas for you.

JD
☯JD♫
Today is PERFECT!

All information and advice given is for entertainment and informational purposes only. The person doing the work is solely responsible to insure that their work complies with their local building code and OSHA safety regulations.
Robert

Hi,

Find a reputable hvac contractor who works on mobile home units to do the tests needed to determine if unit is doing all it can.

IF it is, then it is a home problem allowing air in and out, etc... .

3.5 ton heat pump is about right for that size home, but doing an ACCA Manual J Load Calculation will give excat size needed.

Was duct replaced with same size duct ?

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
bekki

the old duct work was the flex kind and they put in metal, so it is supposed to be better. i did find out today that the unit is only a 3 ton and was told i should have at least a 3.5 to 4. however i am still wondering about tyhe high ceiling in the living room, you can noticable tell a difference in the temp when you walk into those rooms. hopefully with new duct work, new windows, siding, and a larger unit. i can stay cool and warm. it is truly a miserable experience after work to come home and the house be 80-85 with the unit running all day and never cutting off. i just wonder if lowering the ceilings would help that much? thanks for all the responses, and any more suggestions would be great.
all have a great day
ann
Robert

Hi Ann,

Refer back to my previous reply and follow that to determine what size unit is needed.

Do not let anyone just tell you what you need or use the rule of thumb or as I call it, the rule of dumb.

Find an hvac contractor willing to do an ACCA Manual J Load Calc. to know what size is needed.

That is very first step needed to be done for this complaint.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?