want to move mobile home furnace to basement

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

lbair1

Hi!
I am moving my 87 home onto a wood basement being built with plans to have infloor heat in the basement (this will be a walkout apartment) and want to get a new furnace a put it in the basement so I can take out the wall the current mobile home furnace sits in. The first heating person said that since mobile home ductwork is smaller than regular, he wouldn't be able to help with the high efficiency furnaces he sells.

What are my options? Can I get a new mobile home furnace and put it in in a different place along the current ductwork? What can I use to tap into the mobile home ductwork that can be below the ductwork?

I live where it gets to be 30 below, the home is an 87 16X80. Have purchased Mark's book but it isn't here yet.
thanks
hvac1000

Our home furnaces are for the most part down flow style furnaces. In a basement situation you will need an up flow furnace. I would just layout a standard duct package for the basement and see if you can just use the holes in the floor for the registers that are existing to attach to. You might have to cut the hole bigger for the duct supply's and that will mean you will need new registers and boots. You will also have to cut a large hole somewhere in the floor for a return duct. Since this is going into a basement and it is not going into the home itself you could probably use a stick built style furnace which opens the door to many brands and configurations.

The code basically says that you have to use mobile home approved equipment in a mobile home but since this will be in a basement and not directly in the home is how I am getting around this rule. Many years ago as a inspector I allowed this configuration using the intrinsically safe option of the local mechanical code. If you are getting permits for this you might check with the inspector in your area.
God, grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
the courage to change the things I can;
and the wisdom to know the difference.
Robert

Are you wanting to heat basement also or just to move the Furnace down to the basement ?

Some MH's are designed for upflow and so an upflow furnace for MH's is feasible.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
lbair1

Robert,

I am just moving the furnace to the basement. The basement willhave zoned in-floor heat. I have looked in various locations for an upflow furnace and haven't found one - any suggestions? ALso, are they as efficient as some of the "regular" furnaces?

Thanks
Robert

What is Model Number of current furnace ?

I'll get you a price quote and send it in a day or two, keep checking this thread.

A new one would be as efficient or more so than your old one.

You would connect to main duct from below and seal opening on top.

Thanks,
Robert
Some people are Humbly Grateful, while some are Grumbly Hateful.................... Which one are you ?
lbair1

Robert,

The furnace is a Coleman Presidential III 7900 series from 1987. The ductwork dimesnion from the manual states it is 14 X12 outside measurement and 13 9/16 X 11/9/16 inside measurement. Are these MH furnaces just as efficient as a regular furnace? Will this furnace have to be put directly below where the other furnace was in the MH ( I am putting an apartment below so wish I didin' have to have the furnace right in the middle of the plans but if have to work around it - so be it.
Thank you, Robert! :lol:
Robert

Hi,

If it's new and the efficiency rating is the same, it will be as efficient.

No, you do not have to put it in the same spot in basement, but you'll have to seal the old opening in the duct and create a new one below.

Thanks,
Robert
lbair1

Robert,
Can you look up some furnace options for me, then? The quotes I am getting from local heating guys are for regular home furnaces and they want to do some duct work to handle the air flow differences.
Thanks