No heat -- is it thermostat, a loose wire or something else?

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

Hey everyone....

Well we have a few inches of snow on the ground and its 21 degrees out side and its 65 in my home and getting colder as we speak. We have been having some trouble with the themastat in the last few weeks where we are having to take the cover off and clean the contacts (old and dusty I guess) normally after we clean the contacts it kicks right on. Today not the case. I have cleaned them and nothing. The pilot is on and everything seem fine with the furnace... We had plans to put a new thermastat in in a few days but in the mean time I have no heat and 2 lil ones at home and no car to go anywhere... Great situauton huh? Does anyone have something that I have not thought of in order to get this heat to kick on?

Thanks nikki
archive

Is the circuit breaker turned on in your electric panel for the furnace?

Hvac1000
archive

Ok you are my new hero!!!! It was on but I fliped it off and then back on and it kicked on....

Any idea why that happened??

thanks you SOOOOO much.. Nikki
archive

Could have been a spike in the electric from the utility company sometime before the heat season. I call the nuisance trips. Hopefully that will take care of it. Enjoy the heat :>)

Hvac1000
archive

Heat wont kick on again..... We were out shopping all day and when we came home it was 58 in the house..... I flipped the breaker again and cleaned off the thermostate and still no heat...... My dad is bringing over a new thermostate as soon as he can but it may be a few days.... Why did this happen on the coldest nights? How can i get my heat to go on?

Nikki
archive

One of the wires came unattached from the box.... Watching my dad as a lil girl paid off... I haved used so many skills that I watched him do growing up...

Dad teach your daughters too not only sons to fix things!!!

Nikki
archive

Way to go Nikki !! You will be warm tonight.