Furnace goes POP!

Post all other heating and cooling questions here.

Moderators: Greg, Mark

archive

Just changed the filters on the furnace panel in the pantry. Now, after the furnace comes on.... like about 3-4 minutes later... we hear a loud BOOM (sounds like somebody is hitting the furnace filter panel).. like a panel warping or something..... I don't think it's "dangerous" but we could get more sleep if we could fix this. The panel the filters go on are pretty flimsy.... 'ya think it's just a panel flexing?
archive

Hi Mark,

That does happen sometimes. Is it an electric or gas furnace ?

Mine is electric and the door panel does that after it shuts off.

The cabinets and panels are flimsy and thin and will expand and contract with the increase and cooling of temps.

It gets worse as it goes on until you suddenly start to hear it.

If it's a gas furnace, be sure it is not something more serious.

If it's the panel or cabinet/panel door, you have to be imaginative and creative here, LOL.

See if you can for certain be sure what it is making the noise.

Thanks,
Robert
archive

Thanks for the reply, Robert. It's a gas furnace and the "pop!" only started after I put in new filters on the panel. I guess this weekend it's going to get really cold - I'll sit next to the panel and see where on earth it's coming from... perhaps there's another way I can mount the panel that will eliminate the flexing and popping!!...

~Mark~
archive

Hi Mark,

You're very welcome. Sometimes it takes great determination to figure it out.

Then the same ammount of imagination to resolve it.

Also on another note, if the 'popping' is heard elsewhere in the home, it could be the metal ducts expanding and contracting. Many newer homes don't have metal ducts, but the older ones sure do.

Take care and best wishes,
Robert